VMware Communities
kholdstare
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vmware workstation 8 and visualization

Hello everyone,

I just downloaded the trail for vmware workstation 8 and i wanted to try the visualization option with one of my created virtual machines.  i did read that this option now is only for modern CPU's. my CPU is an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 that does have VT-x visualization instruction set. when i enable the option to my virtual machine i get the following error message "Virtualized Intel VT-x/EPT requires platform support for Intel VT-x/EPT" i do have the this option enabled in my BIOS and have one of the most up to date BIOS versions for my motherboard.

is it just my CPU not supported by vmware or  is is there some kind of way to get this working with my setup?

Thank you

My Computer specs:

windows 7 pro SP1

intel Core 2 Quad Q6600@2.4gHz

4GB ram

1TB HDD

Geforce 8800 GTX 512 MB

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Core 2 processors do not have EPT support.  EPT is required to virtualize VT-x.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
j_mosk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The error is telling you what the problem is. Smiley Wink

Imagine that!

In short, in your BIOS, you need to turn something ON. For Dell's, here's an EXAMPLE:

http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2011/07/bios-cpu-vt-setting-for-vmware/

But it could be somewhat different, machine to machine.

Turn this on, and you're golden.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Core 2 processors do not have EPT support.  EPT is required to virtualize VT-x.

0 Kudos
kholdstare
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

if you read my post completly i did state that i did enable it in BIOS as for the other reply i thank you for clearing that up i got it confused with the perferred mode which offered just the VT-x option but the new visulization option i see does require EPT

thank you for the response

0 Kudos