VMware Communities
markm75
Contributor
Contributor

vmware workstation 6x ability to do Host only sep. lan across 2 machines

I have a test domain in 2003 server setup on one Vmware "team". I'm using the host only network setting for each of those with a subnet of 192.168.227.x.. My host machine subnet is 192.168.100.x...

The domain / lan works great on the same physical workstation.. but what if i want other vmware workstation machines to be able to join into my domain and lan.. is this possible using these settings?

The lan segment is seperate from the physical lan segment and isolated.. is there some way to make it "visible" on the other workstations ?

Thanks for any info on this...

0 Kudos
2 Replies
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal

Well "host-only" exactly means this: your VMs are NOT reachable from the outside.

If you have the need to reach them you either have to use NAT networking and setup port-forwarding or use bridged or create an additional VM which does the routing.

0 Kudos
markm75
Contributor
Contributor

That makes sense...

I also see options such as "custom: specific virtual network".. does this option work across multiple machines or is it single machine specific.

Would the option of bridged allow me to have a seperate subnet from my regular LAN? If I choose Host Only.. this will force me to be in the same subnet.. What I want is a seperate subnet, in my case 192.168.227.x which is seperate from my regular one at 192.168.100.x, but yet other workstations with VMware can connect to my test LAN.

Thanks

0 Kudos