VMware Communities
ppccqq
Contributor
Contributor

vmware workstation 6.5 for linux report error ,pls help me

i have installed vmware workstation 6.5 for linux in oracle enterpise linux 5 update 2.it says the installation is successful.but when i type "vmware" in the command line of the terminal.it report below error:

# vmware

NOT_REACHED /build/mts/release/bora-118166/bora/lib/unicode/unicodeSimpleTypes.c:2315

VMware Workstation Error:

VMware Workstation unrecoverable error: (app)

NOT_REACHED /build/mts/release/bora-118166/bora/lib/unicode/unicodeSimpleTypes.c:2315

Please request support.

To collect data to submit to VMware support, select Help > About and click "Collect Support Data". You can also run the "vm-support" script in the Workstation folder directly.

We will respond on the basis of your support entitlement.

Press "Enter" to continue...

any help would be appreciated

ppccqq

0 Kudos
14 Replies
birdie
Expert
Expert

try disabling selinux, try "yum update" under root

0 Kudos
ppccqq
Contributor
Contributor

when i installed oracle enterprise linux ,i have disabled selinux.

when i run yum update i gets below errors:

Missing Dependency: libevent-1.1a.so.1 is needed by package nfs-utils

0 Kudos
birdie
Expert
Expert

Is it a clean installation? Have you installed any software from foreign repositories? Does your network connection work?

yum usually never spills errors like this one until you mess up with your packages.

0 Kudos
ppccqq
Contributor
Contributor

i can run yum install well .i have installed several package from yum repository such as amule and openvpn.and i have installed oracle ebusiness suite 12 R in my system.

0 Kudos
ppccqq
Contributor
Contributor

I have deleted a repo file from yum repository.and now the "yum update" runs well.

but when i type "vmware " in the command line under root.i got the same error:

Please request support.

To collect data to submit to VMware support, select Help > About and click "Collect Support Data". You can also run the "vm-support" script in the Workstation folder directly.

0 Kudos
birdie
Expert
Expert

Can you reproduce this error with CentOS 5.2 or RHEL 5U2?

0 Kudos
ppccqq
Contributor
Contributor

sorry,i can't.I dont know how to use rhel5 or cent os

0 Kudos
ppccqq
Contributor
Contributor

up

0 Kudos
ppccqq
Contributor
Contributor

up

0 Kudos
isiskov
Contributor
Contributor

glibc-locale

glibc-i18n

must be installed!

0 Kudos
ppccqq
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you ,but my glibc version is 2.5-24 ,i cant find a correct glibc-locale package to install.The close version of glibc-locale is glibc-locale-2.5-25.but i cant install it .it says glibc-locale-2.5-25 conflict with glibc 2.5-24.I want to find the exact version package of glibc-locale.but i cant find it.

0 Kudos
isiskov
Contributor
Contributor

Check existence of directories:

/usr/lib/gconv

/usr/share/i18n/charmaps

Execute the following command:

iconvconfig

0 Kudos
ppccqq
Contributor
Contributor

I have checked my directories.and the two directories exists.and i have execute the command :iconvconfig.but when i type the "vmware" in the command line.The same error occured:

# iconvconfig

# vmware

Please request support.

0 Kudos
_Dark_Dragon_
Contributor
Contributor

I faced with exactly same problem. In my case "fix" was very simple. I just did this in the command-line (I'm using Linux):

G_FILENAME_ENCODING= vmware

This command (note space between "=" and "vmware" - it is important) just run vmware with empty G_FILENAME_ENCODING. If you have this environment variable set then this might help to you too (in my case it was set to KOI8-R).

However this is big bug in VMWare. It shouldn't crash like that (especially in cases when G_FILENAME_ENCODING is set to sane value); instead it should handle value of G_FILENAME_ENCODING properly.

0 Kudos