VMware Communities
miki4
Contributor
Contributor

vmware workstation 17 pro - vm slowness and freezes

Hello, I installed vmware Workstation 17 Pro in a Lenovo P15v Gen. 3 pc equipped with i7-12700H processor, 64Gb of DDR5 SO-DIMM RAM, 1 Tb SSD HD.
The operating system of the computer is Windows 11 Pro 64bit.

I created 3 virtual machines with windows 11 pro assigning them 16GB of RAM and 8 cores. Unfortunately, the machines are unusable due to their slowness and very often they get stuck having to restart them with a "restart guest".
I tried to combine processors and cores to make it look at least 8 but the result doesn't change, slow machine and commands received with very long responses.

What can I do ?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
dkin0
Contributor
Contributor

I have been having this same issue for a few weeks now.  I downgraded to 16, from Workstation Pro 17 to see if that would fix the issue but it did not.  I have this issue with any vm operating system (Rhel 7/8, Ubuntu 20/22, Win 10/11).  

0 Kudos
TheWolfman
Contributor
Contributor

Same here. I have issues only with VM with Win11. The host is a ZBook Fury i9-11950H with 128GB of RAM and 4TB of SSD disk. After a bunch of minuter if I click on whatever window on VM, mouse pointer stops working and also if I click on Ctrl + Alt + Canc on VMWare menu nothing happens so the VM is completely freezed

0 Kudos
hectic84654
Contributor
Contributor

hi, were you able to find a solution to this? i am currently facing the same issue and looking for a solution

0 Kudos
frankh74
Contributor
Contributor

This is a huge problem for meg too, and even though we've an organization with lots of VMWare licenses, it seems like VMWare doesn't care one bit about support to its paying customers.

I'm currently looking into alternatives to VMWare for my whole organization, as it's not possible to use a product whose quality seemingly gets worse for each update.

0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

0 Kudos
stmux
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I run vm's from a Thunderbolt 4 hub using a SSD USB hard drive and it was painfully slow until I disabled Core Isolation under Device Security.

mux

0 Kudos