VMware Communities
ysharat
Contributor
Contributor

vmware workstation 10 on windows 7 with vmware win2008 issue

Hi There,

On my new laptop which is windows 10, I am running vmware workstation 10.0.7 on which win2008 servicer is running. After i start the VM, I could not click anything inside the vm see below screenshot or nither allows to minimize the screen or open any software Byt this work on my another laptop windows 7.

vpastedImage_0.png

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
vcallaway
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is VMtools installed?

0 Kudos
ysharat
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, i have installed vwware workstation 10.0.7 version.

Thanks

0 Kudos
vcallaway
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMtools is different than VMware Workstation. VMtools is the guest OS tools that are required for the VM's to functional properly when running on Workstation. Those things include network drivers, graphics enhancements, performance etc... 

VMware Workstation Documentation Center - VMtools installation for Workstation.

0 Kudos
ysharat
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the clarification,could you please kindly let me know from where can i download vmware tools?

0 Kudos
vcallaway
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't have screenshots for Workstation 10, but here's the documentation on how to manually install the tools.

VMware Workstation 10 Documentation Center

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Also, keep in mind that Workstation version 10.x is quite old, and is not officially supported on Windows 10 hosts.  Not saying that it will not work, but that is one possibility.

0 Kudos
ysharat
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the info.I was asking from where can i download the vmware tools for 10 version?

0 Kudos
ysharat
Contributor
Contributor

Infact what is the supported version for windows 10,does it supports vmware workstation 11?

0 Kudos
vcallaway
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Workstation 12+ is supported to run Windows 10

0 Kudos
vcallaway
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMtools is apart of Workstation, you just need to install it.

On the host, from the Workstation menu bar, select VM > Install VMware Tools.

If an earlier version of VMware Tools is installed, the menu item is Update VMware Tools.

If you are installing VMware Tools for the first time, click OK on the Install VMware Tools information page.

If autorun is enabled for the CD-ROM drive in the guest operating system, the VMware Tools installation wizard starts.

If autorun is not enabled, to manually launch the wizard, click Start > Run and enter D:\setup.exe, where 😧 is your first virtual CD-ROM drive.

Follow the on-screen instructions.

Reboot the VM.

0 Kudos