VMware Communities
sathismr
Contributor
Contributor

vmware-vdiskmanager - Not merging the files

Hi,

I am trying to merge .vmdk files (3 files) using vmware-vdiskmanager. However, it does not merge and it just outputs the file, which is passed in the command line.

Thanks,
Sathis M R

8 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Can you please clarify what you are trying to merge?

Post a list of files that you want to "merge", and the complete command line that you are using.

André

0 Kudos
sathismr
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks much for your response!

I received an .ova file and I need to convert into a single vmdk file.

When I unzip the .ova file, it looks like this.

• ap-test.mf
  • ap-test.ovf
  • ap-test-disk001.vmdk
  • ap-test-disk002.vmdk
  • ap-test-disk003.vmdk

I try to merge using vmware-vdiskmanager downloaded from here VMware Knowledge Base .

1023856-vdiskmanager-windows-7.0.1.exe -r "C:\project\ap-test-disk001.vmdk" -t 0 "C:\project\ap-test-final.vmdk"

There is no error. However, it is not merging the *002.vmdk and *003.vmdk files.

I just checked by moving *002.vmdk and *003.vmdk into a different folder and tried the "merge". Both the times (keeping the 002.vmdk and 003.vmdk on same location and on different locations), the output file size is the same.

Hence, I come to the conclusion that 002.vmdk and 003.vmdk files are not getting picked up. Is there a way to force the files to get merged?

Thanks,

Sathis M R

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Why do you need to merge the VMDKs?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Why would you not simply import the ova file?

0 Kudos
sathismr
Contributor
Contributor

I need to deploy it on Hyper-V environment as well.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

From how it looks like the VM has been configured with 3 separate virtual disks, so you may simply proceed with these three virtual disks. Merging them somehow would likely render them unusable.

The OVF file will show how the disks are configured.

André

0 Kudos
sathismr
Contributor
Contributor

I am able to start the VM with merged VMDK. However, it is unable to mount 2 mount points. Looks like, those two are in the second and third disks. Hence, when booting, it fails.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

In 2020 social distancing does not only make sense for humans - it makes sense for vmdks too.

Apparently users prefer VMs with just one or two disks - at first sight that appears to be easier, maybe even faster, maybe even last fragile .

But that view is shortsighted.

Every user that was attacked by ransom ware this year regrets in hindsight not to have spread his valuable data over more vmdks.

Every user that lost a thin vmdk during a powerfailure , every worlstation user that once lost a growing one piece vmdk.

Not only in extreme cases - every user that wanted to expand a Windows C: partition but could not do it as the disk also has 😧 and E:

Look at this 2 VMs: - partitioned in the same way - both carry 2TB of important data ...

social-distancing-for-vmdks.png

Any experienced VMDK nurse very likely knows that all the apparent advantages of a VM designed like the left one will disappear at the first sign of problems.

With growing type vmdks on Workstation one bad area in the graintables of the left VM - even if it appears in the trashbin of the 1,5 tb partition where you could simply ignore the problem ....- might be the death-sentence for the VM on the left.

Same problem with the VM on the right is so much easier to deal with and is so much less risky that I wonder why the left one still seems to lead the polls ...

Just for the record - you can ignore all my warnings when the you answer the next question with "of course !!!" - do you have a backup procedure in place that just works ?

Anyway - if you want to make your life as a VM nurse/admin easier dont put all your eggs in one basket.

Ulli