VMware Communities
Armstchi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vmware-vdiskmanage Failed to expand disk: One of the parameters supplied is invalid (0x3e80)

hi everyone. ive met a strange problem.

D:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation>vmware-vdiskmanager.exe -x 53Gb "D:\Documents\Virtual Machines\Windows 10 x64\Windows 10 x64.vmdk"
Failed to expand the disk 'D:\Documents\Virtual Machines\Windows 10 x64\Windows 10 x64.vmdk': One of the parameters supplied is invalid (0x3e80).

win10 pc

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Armstchi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

wila,

I have a solution for this situation. kind of, sort of.

Using Diskgenius.

Diskgenius do solve problem but after you use it, the first time you restart the VM machine, VM workstation will pop up an error window says something wrong bluh bluh. Sry, I don't remember the details. But I remember click the left button and next time you restart it will work out fine.

As you asked the .vmdk files size? Of course not, it's about 70.7GB.

So I guess for now Diskgenius is the only way to do this. Especially in win platform.

Anyway, thanks a lot and may VMware engineer do their part.

Best wishes,

Icarus

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

I see the same thing here when the disk is smaller than the size you pass, IOW if your disk is smaller than 53GB then that's the error you would see.
Note that the expected parameter is the final size, not the size that you want to extend the disk with.

Also note that it is 53GB and not 53Gb. (not sure if vdiskmanager is picky on casing B versus b, but it might be)

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Armstchi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, wila

First I'm happy to hear your opinion. I have a question that you said "I see the same thing here when the disk is smaller than the size you pass, IOW if your disk is smaller than 53GB then that's the error you would see." I don't get it. Does it refer to the physical disk in my computer or one in the virtual machine? I tried to expand my virtual disk from 52GB to 53GB and it failed.

As to GB or Gb, I scan an artical which says use Gb. And I'm curious why it is different from vdiskmanager.exe describe information.

In the end, I have to say for a non native English speaker I spent a little time to find out what's the meaning of IOC(in other word). And it's good for me to learn this abbreviation, XD.

--

Icarus

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi Icarus,

Sorry about the abbreviation.

I was talking about the virtual disk size, not your physical disk.

As for the case of the letter B, just ran another test and it does not seem to matter.

If your disk was 52GB and you tried changing it to 53GB then your command -at least in theory- should have worked.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
Armstchi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi wila,

I like learning something new from English, so don't be.

Whatever B or b i use, didn't work. I assume this is the VM software problem.

Again thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Icarus,

Is the .vmdk file under 1 kB in size?
If so can you attach it here please?

Note that you have to zip the file before you can attach it due to how the forum software works.

--
Wil

0 Kudos
Armstchi
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

wila,

I have a solution for this situation. kind of, sort of.

Using Diskgenius.

Diskgenius do solve problem but after you use it, the first time you restart the VM machine, VM workstation will pop up an error window says something wrong bluh bluh. Sry, I don't remember the details. But I remember click the left button and next time you restart it will work out fine.

As you asked the .vmdk files size? Of course not, it's about 70.7GB.

So I guess for now Diskgenius is the only way to do this. Especially in win platform.

Anyway, thanks a lot and may VMware engineer do their part.

Best wishes,

Icarus

0 Kudos