VMware Communities
mrstoecker
Contributor
Contributor

vmware tools v 9.6.5. and 10.0.0 crashing with core dump on SLES10SP2 32bit

Hello,

I've discovered an issue when using vmware tools 10.0.0 on SLES10SP2 2.6.16.60.-0.21-default #1 Tue May 6 12:41:02 UTC 2008 i686. Auto resize to fit the guest does not work and wmtoolsd is crashing with core dump. I enabled debuging but the logfiles do not show anything unusual. When uninstalling vmware tools 10.0.0 and installing vmware tools 9.4.10 it works.

Tested on vmware workstation 12 64bit Linux -> vmware tools 10.0.0

and vmware workstation 10 windows -> vmware tools 9.6.5

I'd like to open a support ticket but since I'm currently only using evaluation versions of vmware workstation 12 and ESXi 5.5 I'm not able to properly issue a ticket...

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Virtually
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When using SLES, SLED or openSUSE,

During initial Guest creation/installation, VMware is detected and an early community version of VMware Tools is automatically installed which should support nearly all Tools features.

If you want to upgrade Tools for any reason like gaining additional features (Shared Folders is a common reason), today VMware no longer distributes Tools directly but can be upgraded through the following GitHub project (with official VMware blessing).

A recent openSUSE post which applies equally to SLES and SLED

(Currently openSUSE TW is the only known distro and version which is unsupported, but you can PM tsu2 to get instructions)

openSUSE Forums

The actual GitHub project for upgrading Tools which supports all Linux distros

https://github.com/rasa/vmware-tools-patches/

https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/509526-Verified-vmware-tools-patches

0 Kudos
Virtually
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

An additional note...

If it's not clear why the GitHub rasa project should be used to install and/or update Tools on a Linux machine (any distro), the scripts do a number of things which a User might not ordinarily do...

- Verify the system has all required dependencies and prerequisites downloaded and installed.

- Ensure system consistency. For example, a common issue that might be addressed is if the kernel has been updated but the associated kernel headers hasn't.

- You can choose which version of Tools to install. Although the latest releases should generally work for all versions of VMware products, if any does not then you can select another that might be more closely suited (see documentation on the site).  Still, if you believe there is a bug or problem that should be addressed, this Project is where you should report the problem.

- Using the scripts, you can easily do things in a standard, reproducible way. Besides the "one click" script that does everything, individual scripts are available which you can run individually or build your own solution.

Good Luck!

0 Kudos