VMware Communities
N5BZ
Contributor
Contributor

vmware-mounter broken after installing vmworkstation 6 beta

Ever since I installed the beta version of workstation 6, my vmware-mounter has been broken.

Unable to connect to the vmount service. VMware-mount may not be

properly installed. Reinstall VMware DiskMount Utility and try again.

Uninstalling rc 6 and reinstalling my workstation 5, reinstalling vmount did

NOT fix it.

\----

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error!

Program: C:\progra1\vmware\vmware1\vmware-mount.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.

\----

I even went through the registry and removed all the vmware-mount.exe references after uninstalling, before reinstalling. No joy.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

You should not be using the standalone disk mount utility on a Windows host with Workstation 6, since it has a mount utility built-in WS6 that is not compatible with the old mount utility.

By the way, the WS 6 is no longer in beta, it is a released product.

0 Kudos
N5BZ
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the response!

The point is that installing the beta version of workstation 6 on my windows XP machine has 'permenantly' broken vmware-mounter even though I removed workstation 6 and reinstalled workstation 5, and removed and reinstalled vmware-mounter(tried different versions).

How can I undo what-ever workstation 6 did to my system? (no I can't 'roll back' the system because I do not use the windows repair facility. I find that most of the time it doesn't work, anyway.

What did 6 install that I need to remove? What did the workstation 6 installer do that it failed to undo when the uninstaller was run?

Thanks!

-bz-

0 Kudos
N5BZ
Contributor
Contributor

I uninstalled both ws5.5.4 and mounter 5.5.0 and reinstalled.

Now everything seems to be working normally.

No idea why the first 5 times I tried these things it did not fix it.

-bz-

0 Kudos
Liz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Oddly I still use the vmware-mounter (and did during the beta too) and mine still works, I wouldnt part with it, I require command line disk mounting.. While workstation does do that from the GUI its not much good from an automisation point of view.

0 Kudos