VMware Communities
John_Leask
Contributor
Contributor

vmware-fullscreen.exe - gone in 9.x?

With all the issues I have running vmware workstation fullscreen on multiple displays, which never seen to be fixed or even responded to, I thought I'd look again at vmware-fullscreen.exe, and see if using that with a hotkey to switch between the host and guest would work any better for me.

I went looking for the exe, and didn't find anything. Is this not part of version 9? Is there any replacement / alternative?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Scorpion99
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

On single adapter after using Full Screen , you can use the Exclusive mode.

0 Kudos
John_Leask
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the response.

I'm usually running a single guest, which I want to use fullscreen on all three displays, so exclusive mode isn't available. Ideally, I'd want to switch between guest on all three, or host on all three with guest minimised. Doing that with a hotkey would be ideal.

I was hoping that the fullscreen version of the exe might help avoid the issues I have:

• On starting guest, it's a pain switching to full screen, and cycling displays multiple times until I get the correct configuration
  • On restore from suspension, only primary display is enabled, so I have to cycle through the configurations again, which utterly messes up the window layout in the guest - they all end up on a single display, and even worse, they are usually all resized down to something like 800x600.
  • Running fullscreen apps on the host can mess up the guest, similar to a restore, but sometimes additionally resizing the guest primary display so that the host taskbar is visible even with the guest full screen. Fixing this requires switching out of full screen mode, back to full screen, and then cycling through the display options again, which messes up the guest apps as above.

I've had these sort of issues now for years, through many different versions of vmware. It never gets fixed, and I wonder if the developers actually test (let alone use) using guests in fullscreen mode over more than a single display. It's a real pain at times. I also notice the vmware staff don't seem to respond to threads discussing these types of issues Smiley Sad

Can't we just have an option to specify the guests display setup, and be able to tell it 'never change this to anything else' no matter what happens on the host?

0 Kudos