VMware Communities
sk55
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vmware bottlenecks

hi guys,

new to vmware. i got workstation installed on my xp.. quad core 2.4ghz... 4gig memory...

just wondering what will be the bottleneck in my system... disk speed? is it better to have seperate drives for each vm?

i wanted to setup a win 2003 domain controller... which basically serves as a backup domain controller... really doing nothing except active directory and dns.

will it run stable in a VM on my pc for say 2 months at time?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Rockapot
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

With the functionality you have mentioned it should be stable however other aspects of your interaction with the base OS on your machine will come in to affect.

If other programs on your pc are unstable this can cause system instability which could affect the VMware worksation install and cause the base system to blue screen etc.., these types of issues will cause issues for your VM envrionment.

Really depends on how stable your PC itself is...

My home system is pretty much the same:

Quad Core 2.6Ghz

8Gb Ram

2 x 500Gb SATA

2 x 10k Raptors (Raid 1)

Vista x64

I host all my VM's on one of the 500gb SATA's and dont really notice much of a performance degradation on my PC. I usually run around 4 or 5 VM's at a time.. Depends on the workload of the VM's really in the end.

Carl

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Rockapot
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

With the functionality you have mentioned it should be stable however other aspects of your interaction with the base OS on your machine will come in to affect.

If other programs on your pc are unstable this can cause system instability which could affect the VMware worksation install and cause the base system to blue screen etc.., these types of issues will cause issues for your VM envrionment.

Really depends on how stable your PC itself is...

My home system is pretty much the same:

Quad Core 2.6Ghz

8Gb Ram

2 x 500Gb SATA

2 x 10k Raptors (Raid 1)

Vista x64

I host all my VM's on one of the 500gb SATA's and dont really notice much of a performance degradation on my PC. I usually run around 4 or 5 VM's at a time.. Depends on the workload of the VM's really in the end.

Carl

0 Kudos