VMware Communities
RobertEM
Contributor
Contributor

vmware authorization service is not running

After installing newest Vmware workstations on windows 7 i keep getting errors like this:

vmware authorization service is not running

And I cannot start the service because it is stuck in the middle: on starting. Not stopped, not started, everyhing in services.msc is greyed out. I have to disable the service, restart computer, enable it and then start. Next reboot it is starting... hopelessly again. But it is random, sometimes service starts. Checked this on two machines.

Well, VmWare people, this is WRONG! There are more than one FREE virtualization solutions. The whole point of paying for VmWare workstation is (WAS?) that it JUST WORKS. I do not want to tweak privileges in services or modify registry keys - I am the developer, and virtualization is a tool for me to use, not to fix.

FIX IT NOW, PLEASE!

0 Kudos
15 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi
I completely understand you.
If you want something that works consider Virtual Box - less features but a way better installer.

Are you interested in solving the problem ?

0 Kudos
tiagomartinez
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Open VMware Workstation as administrator!

Right-Click -> Run as Administrator

Blog: http://vmwarebrasil.blogspot.com Consider awarding points for helpful or correct answers!
0 Kudos
RobertEM
Contributor
Contributor

>Open VMware Workstation as administrator!

>Right-Click -> Run as Administrator

Well, that is in fact what I do now. And I have configured the forever_starting_starting_service to run as me, Administrator and it starts now. But my point is I should not have been forced to do this. And I wasn't until last release. This needs to be fixed.

I have dozens of VM machines set up, I have to work, I cannot instantly  convert to other platform, and I wouldn't like to. It would be so much work virtually for nothing,  my-oh-my.

0 Kudos
RobertEM
Contributor
Contributor

>Are you interested in solving the problem ?

If the solution would be dropping VmWare - not just yet. Trough the years they got over $1000 of my money. I want them to fix it and post the update.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

what about the dependancies ?
is Winmgmt and RPC running ?
do you have a process named fixcamera.exe ?

0 Kudos
RobertEM
Contributor
Contributor

>is Winmgmt and RPC running ?
>do you have a process named fixcamera.exe ?

RPC endpoint mapper is running.

I can not see any other service or process with name starting with RPC.

windows management instrumentation is running.

i have no fixcamera.exe running and no fixcamera is present in my filesystem.

But vmware authorization service now also runs despite I reverted it to run as Local System as installed.

when it starts hanging again what else should I check to report full picture?

It appears that hanging on starting... happens when my machine has got something else long to do on start, like syncin large dropbox update. VM auth  then hangs and keeps hanging thru consecutive reboots until disable-reboot-enable-start cycle.

I am sorry that I have let out some steam here, but it was so frustrating. It takes over 10 minutes sometimes until I start everything else in my environment, and then I realize that vm auth hangs and all is to be repeated again...

0 Kudos
RobertEM
Contributor
Contributor

>is Winmgmt and RPC running ?

Correction:

Remote procedure call (RPC)    is also running

Remote procedure call (RPC) Locator   is on manual and stopped

And my system is win7 enterprise 64

0 Kudos
RobertEM
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry for replying trice, but in my situation most important fix would be:

Prevent VM auth service from hanging in 'starting' state without having it disabled.

In emergency I could start it manually, not being forced to reboot my machine.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

I forgot to ask ...

do you run Google Chrome , HP tools or Commodo firewall ?
Do you run games protected by nProtect gameguard ?

0 Kudos
RobertEM
Contributor
Contributor

>do you run Google Chrome , HP tools or Commodo firewall ?

I have Chrome installed, but I run it maybe once a month. No HP tools, and for firewall I use Zone alarm free, no Comodo was ever installed on this instance of my system.

>Do you run games protected by nProtect gameguard ?

I run no games at all, protected or unprotected.

And generally: I do not program on system level for Windows, so my judgement is not definitive, but what appears to me is:

VmWare Authorization Service design is faulty. If service cannot start it should eventually fail. Decision could then be taken what to do next. But this service hangs instead of failing. Until VmWare designers change that, we will have to fix it with rubber bands and tape.

0 Kudos
OtimJoris
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the exact same issue on several computers over here. As a systemadministator of our school i am running VMware Workstation v9 on approx 150 computers at the same time. This message pops up about every 2 days. Rebooting the computer does NOT fix this issue. Our students are not local administrator, only regular users. The only and fastest thing that fixes the issue is to use SCCM to reinstall the computer.

Using Administrator or Domain Administrator credentials to start the service does not work. Before v9 we where running v7 and had no issues at all, and the base image was exaclty the same. The only difference is that we upgraded VMware Workstation.

I realy want to fix this issue, but i need more info on how to troubleshoot this...

0 Kudos
OtimJoris
Contributor
Contributor

I have found out that when this error comes up, the following message is logged in the System log (translated from Dutch to English):

"VMware AUthorization Service-serivice is depending on this service: vmx86. This service might not be installed."

This is happening almost every day now and gets verrrry annoying.

0 Kudos
grimreality
Contributor
Contributor

I am out of the office and will be back November 1st at 0900Hrs. I will not have any access to email. In my absence please contact support on 0845 223 6010 or email support, csp@softbrands.com.

0 Kudos
OtimJoris
Contributor
Contributor

grimreality wrote:

I am out of the office and will be back November 1st at 0900Hrs.  I will not have any access to email. In my absence please contact support on 0845 223 6010 or email support, csp@softbrands.com.

??? Ehh, what should i do with this?

0 Kudos
AlexS2011
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having exactly the same issue. I support over 100 PC's running VMware Workstation at a University.

I've never had a problem like this with Workstation 7, but the change to workstation 9.0.0 is causing serious headaches with this issue.

I'm using a custom network config along with the Vmware installation so a repeat install using SCCM isn't an option for me.

Students cannot have admin rights to the PC's and if I use a 3rd party util to allow them to run just Vmware with admin rights, they're

likely to alter/trash the network config.

I'm hoping the 9.0.1 release would fix this but it's not mentioned in the release notes.

If VMware can't fix this soon I'll be forced to trash all 100 PC installations ( and the Academic support installations ) to re-install Vmware 7.

At the moment classes are being cancelled because they can't teach the product, not good.

The only good point is the proof that I've not messed up the installation and it's a fault with the software.

0 Kudos