VMware Communities
ErikDe
Contributor
Contributor

vmware KVM: cannot set preferences (crashes with access violation)

Hello,

I am currently using VMWare Wirjstatuib 16.1.2 Pro, and would like to run my VMs in KVM mode, which works perfectly when I run the vmware-kvm.exe with my vmx-file.

However, when I start vmware-kvm.exe --preferences (which I need to alter the hotkey for toggling between guest and host, which is Pause-key by default), I get the following error message:

---------------------------
VMware KVM Error
VMware KVM unrecoverable error: (vmkvm)
Exception 0xc0000005 (access violation) has occurred.
A log file is available in "C:\Users\machineAdmin\AppData\Local\Temp\vmware-machineAdmin\vmware-vmkvm-6576.log".  
You can request support.  

To collect data to submit to VMware technical support, run "vm-support".
We will respond on the basis of your support entitlement.

OK   

Can anybody explain why this is happening? This only happens when I try to get the preferences-Dialog, not in normal operation.

Alternatively, is there any configuration file where the preferences are stored, so that I can alter them manually?

Logfile is attached...

Thank you very much for any hints.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
fabio1975
Commander
Commander

CIao 

The error you report looks more like a problem with the OS the workstation is running on. It almost looks like there are some corrupt files. You should try or reinstall VMware workstation or if it is the host system and windows you could try doing a classic check disk (obviously make a backup)

Fabio

Visit vmvirtual.blog
If you're satisfied give me a kudos

0 Kudos
cmiddleton123
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the exact same issue.  I can run vmware-kvm.exe perfectly, but if I try to add the --preference option I get that exact same error. 

Running check disk doesn't seem to solve the issues.

according to the log it's checking a file that doesn't seem to exist.  

0 Kudos
Seqteq
Contributor
Contributor

same, I get this trying to use VMWare KVM on a workstation pro 16.2 host over RDP, trying because they keyboard wont work on guests while accessing the host over RDP. I wish the underlying issue would be fixed for all microsoft rdp clients. no, enhanced keyboard is not selected.

Signed,

A repeat customer since VMWare Workstation Pro 9

0 Kudos
frozenranger
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here:

Win 11 pro

12900KF

Vmware: 16.2.4

I was able to fix my settings by uninstalling VMware 16, then installing VMware 15. running the VMware-kvm.exe --preferences using VMware 15, then making my changes, then updating back to VMware 16. The preferences are still broken but at least VMware 16 saved my KVM settings from VMware 15. Looks like it's a VMware 16 bug, possibly only on windows 11. Hopefully, they will patch it soon.

Thank you

0 Kudos