VMware Communities
OttoSykora
Contributor
Contributor

vmtools on 604 break VM?

Today I tried to update the 602 to 604. This went so far fine, VM (w98se in this case) started fine.

The Vmtools icon however suggested to update the tools too. OK, tried, went almost fine, but just was told I have to update svga and mouse manualy.

I did this, the drivers were donwloaded from the server and installed. From then on th VM does not start any more, or crashes with blue screen. Tried then to install only the rest of the new vmtolls and leave the manual update of the video and mouse drivers, but still the vm will not start. It starts up to the windows password entry, from then on it crashes in different stages. Reverted to last working state (old vmtools) and all works fine again.

Are there any known issues with the recent vmtools on w98se guest?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

Remove old tools first, reboot guest, install new tools?

0 Kudos
OttoSykora
Contributor
Contributor

>Remove old tools first, reboot guest, install new tools? <

will try, but how do I remove the old tool first?

0 Kudos
OttoSykora
Contributor
Contributor

looks like this will be tricky.

The current .msi (from 604) refuses to uninstall the currently installed tools since they are from 602?

Probably it will need to install the 602 version back, then remove the tolls if possible and the install 604 and then the tools?

Looks like lot of work? Will this really help then?

0 Kudos
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

I would definitely try it, but not used Win98 for ages.

0 Kudos
OttoSykora
Contributor
Contributor

Yes will give it go sometimes.

BTW, what is new in the tools between 602 and 604? Are there big differencies?

0 Kudos
OttoSykora
Contributor
Contributor

made some intermediate experiments, it looks like that replacement of any single driver will cause bluesreen on w98se.

0 Kudos
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

Could you try fresh install of Win98 then?

Just to prove that it works fine with 6.0.4 Tools.

0 Kudos
OttoSykora
Contributor
Contributor

could also try this, but this is also kind of time consuming, but will see when I get to it.

0 Kudos