Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vmrun -T player start : Error: Unknown Error 2.6.32-573.el6.x86_64

Hi,

I am running the following system:

2.6.32-573.el6.x86_64

VMWare Player 12.1.1-3770994.x86_64

The issue I am having is that I can start the VM through the GUI no problem using "vmplayer" as root however when I try to do vmrun -T player start /path/to/vm.vmx nogui I get the response "Error: Unknown error" with no log entries appearing in vmware.log to provide insight as to whats happening. I have tried the below solution which seems to solve it for others but this is not working for me:

Re: After install kernel 2.6.32-504 Could not open /dev/vmmon

I can follow all steps without errors for all suggested solutions in that thread all the way to the end and it still fails to run. Really frustrated here and not sure where to look next, any help or pointers anyone could provide would make my day .... 😞

Thanks,

MarsMachina

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MarsMachina
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This has now been resolved by VMWare support after purchasing a single incident based support contract:

Hope you are doing good.

We are sorry for the delay in the response.

I am writing this email to keep you informed that we have successfully setup our lab machines with the RHEL 6.7 Host RHEL 6.0 Guest with the VIX version (1.15.3).

We are able to use the “start” (-T player start “path to the vmx”) command to power on the virtual machine using vmrun. Unfortunately, we are unable to use the (-T player Start "path to the vmx" nogui ).

Although, VMRUN is deprecated in VMware Workstation 12 Player and Pro. We would like to know if you could install VIX 1.15.3 and use “start” or “nogui” command to find out the output.

Please find the below link to download VIX 1.15.3.

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/details?downloadGroup=PLAYER-1211-VIX1153&productId=574

Hope this helps, please let us know with an update to proceed further.

Thanks Rangaswamy for this fix it worked.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
HuanguoZhong
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Thanks for coming to Workstation community. Could you give more info? like the host OS name/version, and VIX version, the VM OS, the VM is encrypted or not. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
MarsMachina
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi ,

Thanks for the reply, to answer your questions :

• The VM is not encrypted.
  • The host OS is Red Hat Enterprise Linux 2.6
  • The VM is a Netezza Software Emulator for Developers that also uses RedHat Enterprise Linux.
  • VIX version : VMware-VIX-1.15.0-2985596.x86_64.bundle

Let me know if you need any more info,

Thanks,

Mars

0 Kudos
MarsMachina
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This has now been resolved by VMWare support after purchasing a single incident based support contract:

Hope you are doing good.

We are sorry for the delay in the response.

I am writing this email to keep you informed that we have successfully setup our lab machines with the RHEL 6.7 Host RHEL 6.0 Guest with the VIX version (1.15.3).

We are able to use the “start” (-T player start “path to the vmx”) command to power on the virtual machine using vmrun. Unfortunately, we are unable to use the (-T player Start "path to the vmx" nogui ).

Although, VMRUN is deprecated in VMware Workstation 12 Player and Pro. We would like to know if you could install VIX 1.15.3 and use “start” or “nogui” command to find out the output.

Please find the below link to download VIX 1.15.3.

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/details?downloadGroup=PLAYER-1211-VIX1153&productId=574

Hope this helps, please let us know with an update to proceed further.

Thanks Rangaswamy for this fix it worked.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Although, VMRUN is deprecated in VMware Workstation 12 Player and Pro.

That is absolutely the first time I hear about vmrun being deprecated??

I wonder if that is true and if that's the case that would be really strange as there's no scriptable alternative.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Ann4168
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi,

I used VMWARE workstation pro 15, and download the latest updates Like Fedora 30,Red Hat 8.

But When  I create new workstation with Fedora,the 'unknow error' occurred.

I remembered that when I did not download the latest updates,The Fedora 30 was installed successfully.

How to resolve it?

0 Kudos
mauriros_14
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

In my case, the problem was that the windows user accounts control doesnt allow to excecute vmrun command as admin.

changed to none and now vmrun works like a charm.

Remember to mark the checkbox to execute as admin, in tab properties of your shortcut 

0 Kudos