VMware Communities
bluecollarit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vmnet1 - how should this be configured on the images to comm with the host

currently i am getting an error message in the host application event errorlog.

Cannot connect to VMX: E:\Ex6 64 bit Config\Oracle_10g\Oracle_10g.vmx

i only have vmnet 8 configured for nat on the images

on workstation itself i have vmnet1 configured for hostonly

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Naki
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello! I have the same problem and I don't think it has to do with networking at all.

My HDD was damaged from overheating, and sometimes it won't read the data it wants to read, and makes a clicking sound, and fetches the data only after 1-2 seconds pause.

So I think this event viewer message means WMware (temporarily) cannot read from the VMX file, due to HDD isssues...

NOTE: If you are getting errors for ALL your VMX images, try exiting from VMware, them moving 1-2 images to another HDD, then see if you still get an error. If the VMX images you move produce no more Event Viewer errors, that would mean the HDD is at fault.

Message was edited by:

Naki

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I don't think that this error has something to do with networking (the error mentions the VMX file explicitly)

The only possible networking related problem could be NAT or host-only configured in the VMX file.

If this is the case simply change NAT to host-only or vice versa.

bluecollarit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

no, we need nat and hostonly

i dont want to change the nat but add a hostonly

the question is on the image itself i add a nic card before booting it and point to hostonly. then wehn the image is booted i add a network connection and set it to dhcp but it picks up an address from the first set rather than from the host only set which is on vmnet1.

i am missing an ingredient here.

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

You can switch both NICs in the VM so that the VM tries the host-only first when searching a DHCP server or disconnect the first NIC until the VM got an IP.

bluecollarit
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Cannot connect to VMX: E:\Ex6 64 bit Config\Oracle_10g\Oracle_10g.vmx

I am getting these messages in the host event viewer application log

the source is vmauthd

This has been going on for a long time and the errors show for all images that are opened in WS6

i dont notice any real impact of these messages but it is annoying to people now that we finally noticed them.

i have vmnet0 as bridged

vmnet1 as hostonly w internal address and dhcp enabled

vmnet8 as nat w internal address and no dhcp

0 Kudos
Naki
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello! I have the same problem and I don't think it has to do with networking at all.

My HDD was damaged from overheating, and sometimes it won't read the data it wants to read, and makes a clicking sound, and fetches the data only after 1-2 seconds pause.

So I think this event viewer message means WMware (temporarily) cannot read from the VMX file, due to HDD isssues...

NOTE: If you are getting errors for ALL your VMX images, try exiting from VMware, them moving 1-2 images to another HDD, then see if you still get an error. If the VMX images you move produce no more Event Viewer errors, that would mean the HDD is at fault.

Message was edited by:

Naki

0 Kudos