icthy
Contributor
Contributor

vmmon mismatch: expecting 138.0, got 168.0.

I've seen this problem before, but the solutions given (for Workstation 6--I'm running Workstation 5.5.8) don't seem to work for me...

I just got a new laptop, and put Fedora 9 on it. I am running 64-bit kernel 2.6.25.14, and want to run Workstation 5.5.8. The initial compilation using vmware-config.pl failed, so I used the vmware-any-any-update117d patch. This led to 32-bit compatibility issues, so I searched around and installed all the compatibility libraries that were suggested. Things compile; however when I fireup Workstation to run my 32-bit Windows guest (XP), I get the error:

Version mismatch with vmmon module: expecting 138.0, got 168.0. You have an incorrect version of the `vmmon' kernel module. Try reinstalling VMware Workstation.

Looking around on this and other forums, I see folks running Workstation 6 have had this problem, and they suggest not running the any-any patch. So, I remove the rpm (rpm -e VMware-workstation-5.5.8-108000.i386.rpm) and try again without the any-any patch, but I still get the compilation problems I saw initially before I ran the any-any patch.

I have a rather urgent desire to get this working in the next couple of days (before I leave for 2 weeks of meetings), can anyone kindly offer me some suggestions?

1) Any thoughts on getting this running with the current kernel and Workstation version?

2) Suggestions for getting this running with a different kernel...anything that you know works?

3) Do I need Workstation 6?

4) is there a better "any-any" patch than the one I used? Perhaps the newest are only for Workstation 6?

This does work fine on my Fedora 8 box, running 32-bit kernel 2.6.25.11. I am happy to reinstall with Fedora 8 and 32-bit if necessary, but I'd like to bounce this off the experts out there.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
birdie
Expert
Expert

Right now there's no solution for running VMWare 5.5.8 on newer kernels.

VMWare 6.0.5 should work with 2.6.25 kernel, if not install the latest vmware any any update.

VMWare 6.5 RC1 is quite stable now and supports all kernels up to 2.6.26.

icthy
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. So, I should perhaps try and get the 5.5.7 Workstation running? On my other computer, it is successfully running on kernel 2.6.25, although I don't remember how I got it running.

0 Kudos