VMware Communities
Nutshell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vmdk file not found message, however ...

Skärmklipp.PNG

Hello guys !

Today I got a vmdk file not found message during VM statup. When checking the directory the main vmdk file actually exists, however two of the listed files (01 .. 46 ) are missing:

Windows 10 x64 VS2019-s015.vmdk
Windows 10 x64 VS2019-s020.vmdk

Is it possible to recover from this state ?

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Perhaps you have security software which has quarantined the files?

Do you have a backup?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Nutshell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello,

I do have a couple of weeks old OVF backup. I have this one up and running again, but the problem is that I'm missing a couple of script files in progress that was outside source control in the failing VM. 

I have noticed suggestions in this community to replace missing vmdk files with "dummies" in order to get the VM up and running again. Is that possible in my case? BTW, I'm using Workstation 16.2.4, on Windows 10 x64.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Please post a file listing - the output of dir *.* - of the VM's folder, and attach the "Windows 10 x64 VS2019.vmdk" to your next reply.

André

0 Kudos
Nutshell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello André,

please find attached directory list and the .vmdk file.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The attached .zip archive contains replacements for the missing .vmdk files.

With the files in place you should be able to map the virtual disk to the host to extract required files.

If you want, you can also try to power on the VM. In this case please take a snapshot prior to powering it on, so that the current .vmdk files won't be modified, and you have a way back to the current state in case the guest OS encounters issues.

André

0 Kudos