VMware Communities
kasper
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vmci.sys - simple question

Windows server throws vmci.sys in by default.   Other scenarios install it by default too on various guests.    If I edit the guest vmx and set vmci0.present = "FALSE" before I install the OS it does not install vmci.sys up to 16.1.2.    Now 16.2 seems to have a mandatory install even when doing all of the above.    So for Windows guests can go into the registry and under 'services' for vmci change the startup from 0 (boot) to 4 disable.    As far as I can tell I have no need for it and would like to have it gone (side note: youtube flaming lips with miley cyrus LSD).   In Windows if I disable the VMCI service are there any side effects given the guest is not using this?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

@kasper wrote:

As far as I can tell I have no need for it and would like to have it gone.  
In Windows if I disable the VMCI service are there any side effects given the guest is not using this?

You're wrong, vmci is required nowadays for VMware Tools.

See also:
https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Tools/11.3.0/com.vmware.vsphere.vmwaretools.doc/GUID-6994A5F9-B62B...

Quote:
Note: VMCI driver cannot be disabled as the VMware Tools System service functionality is dependent on this driver.​

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
kasper
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you for your response.    The link to the VMTools doc was extremely helpful.    I was hoping to more with less.  You can set the services to manual on the Windows guest.    And you can set the vmci.sys device driver to not start on boot.   But then things get slightly flaky.    The doc was what I needed to confirm what to keep running.

0 Kudos