VMware Communities
sparkz42
Contributor
Contributor

vmauthd Event 1000?

I'm using Workstation 8.0.1.528992 on Windows 7 x64 and had an "Internal Error" when trying to start a VM. I rebooted and it seemed alright after that but on checking the event log I noticed I had a dozen or so event 1000s for vmauthd:

The description for Event ID 1000 from source vmauthd cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

2011-11-29T20:09:47.382+10:00| vthread-4| I120: Service Started.

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

To be on the safe side I reinstalled the program - same version - during which it had an install error (couldn't find uninstall.exe?). I tried it again and it was ok. On rebooting I still get these events though. They may have been there all along of course (I deleted the old log). Seems to imply that something isn't installed correctly but reinstalling a fresh downloaded version didn't make any different.

All the services seem to have started ok. So I'm puzzled as to what's going on here. Any ideas?

Thanks

Mark

0 Kudos
7 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

thats a year old bug - just ignore it

sparkz42
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the assurance Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Wait, this is still happening with WS 8.0.1?  This was supposed to be fixed...

0 Kudos
sparkz42
Contributor
Contributor

Can't comment on the status of this but I'm certainly getting these errors (x14) every time I boot.

The only reason I took note of them was because of the odd "internal error" I got before. Just checking to see if there was any reason for the error I got. Seems it was unrelated.

Apart from the events, Workstation does seem to be working ok though. Can't see any other VMWare related errors in the events. Can't comment of the logs as I find them a bit confusing.

0 Kudos
swinster
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well, Im getting thousands of these events being logged. Approximately 1970 and rising. I seem to be getting 2 logs ervery 10 seconds or so

Running VM PLayer 4.0.1 build-528992

0 Kudos
sparkz42
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, I get them them at all times too. Had 497 since the 25th.November when I last cleared the log.

0 Kudos
omf
Contributor
Contributor

I just noticed these myself after installing the latest Workstation.

Unfortunately, they don't seem to be benign in my case.  I can't log in to my desktop machine (the one I installed Workstation on) via Remote Desktop anymore.  The RDC client contacts the machine and accepts my user credentials, but then it immediately just goes back to the initial window where you enter the remote computer name.

I tried connecting with RDP iOS clients, which used to work fine, and they also fail to authenticate.

I disalbed the VMware Authorization Service, rebooted, and now everything's working again.  Of course, I can't use Workstation anymore...

One thing I changed right when this started happening was to authenticate my copy of Windows 7 (I had just re-installed everything on my machine from scratch).  I wonder if the VMware Authorization Service isn't somehow tied to Windows' authentication data and gets broken when that changes in any way...

0 Kudos