VMware Communities
justinfan331
Contributor
Contributor

vm's crash with unrecoverable error on workstation 9

I installed VMWare Workstation 9 a few weeks back and tried to create a new Ubuntu based VM from scratch today.  I used the recommended settings using Easy Install, but as Ubuntu was installing inside the VM, Workstation would crash at random times (sometimes during the installation file copying, sometimes during the VMWare Tools installation, sometimes right after the BIOS), but the error would always mention something about either:

vcpu-0:EPT misconfiguration

or

vcpu-0:ASSERT vmcore/exts/hv/vt/hv-vt.c

I've attached screenshots of both errors and the log file of the EPT misconfiguration crash.

I've also tried a VM running Windows 7 x64 that I had created on another computer running Workstation 8, and although it doesn't crash as often as the Ubuntu VM, it would still crash at random times (shutting down, startng up, post-BIOS) with the same errors.  I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Workstation 9 with no avail--is this a hardware incompatbility or some kind of bug?

My host system is an HP Pavilion dv6t-7000 Quad Edition:

-Intel Core i7 3720QM

-8 GB DDR3-1600

-Intel HD Graphics 4000 / nVidia GeForce GT 650M

If anyone could shed some light on this issue, I'd greatly appreciate it!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jayden56
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi  justinfan331gt;

Welcome to forum.

As per my understanding it seems problem some where hardware compatibility .

Is it possible to collect log file ?

"You must not lose faith in humanity"
0 Kudos
onoski
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Provide us with some log files if possible.

0 Kudos
justinfan331
Contributor
Contributor

My bad, I had attached it as a .txt file in the first post, but here's the log file again for the EPT misconfiguration error.

0 Kudos
justinfan331
Contributor
Contributor

If it helps at all, I've managed to get 32-bit guest VMs to run after turning off Hardware Virtualization in the host BIOS, but not 64-bit guests.

0 Kudos