VMware Communities
lstreepy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vm memory size limits when converting from VMware Server to VMWare Workstation

I've created a number of vm's using VMWare server, which limits the max memory size to 3.6GB. I need to run some large memory configurations (up to 8GB), so I installed VMWare Workstation (trial) in order to increase the size of the memory allocation for the vms and see how they perform.

However, after opening the vm in VMWare Workstation, I can not increase the size of the memory defined for the vm. Does anyone know how to do this? I really don't want to have to go through the pain of recreating all my vms (I have a lot).

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm running the vmware software on a CentOS 4.3 machine with 12GB of memory. The guest OS is RHEL4.

Thanks,

Larry.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I believe that you need to 'upgrade' the format version of your VM. VMware Server 1.x uses the 'Workstation 5' format when creating new VMs.

From the VMware Workstation 6.x screen, open your VM and then select the VM menu->upgrade or change version-> and change the compatibility level to "Workstation 6".

That should increase your memory limit from 3.5 GB to 8.0 GB.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Liz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

has the host OS seen all 12gb memory? Have you upgraded the guest version?

lstreepy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This is before I even start the guest OS. I am trying to configure the memory size given to the VM using the VMWare Workstation console and it will not let me adjust it above 3.6GB.

Yes, the host OS sees all the memory.

Further, if I try to create a new VM, it allows me to specify up to 8GB of memory for it. So, this seems to have something to do with opening a vm that was created under VMWare Server in VMWare Workstation.

Thanks,

Larry.

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

I believe that you need to 'upgrade' the format version of your VM. VMware Server 1.x uses the 'Workstation 5' format when creating new VMs.

From the VMware Workstation 6.x screen, open your VM and then select the VM menu->upgrade or change version-> and change the compatibility level to "Workstation 6".

That should increase your memory limit from 3.5 GB to 8.0 GB.

0 Kudos
lstreepy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Excellent - I'll give that a try in the morning.

Thanks,

Larry.

0 Kudos
Liz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

As i said, I did ask if you had upgraded the guest version..

0 Kudos
lstreepy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes you did. Unfortunately, I am new to working with VMWare and I didn't understand your suggestion when I read it. The later post was worded in a way that I understood.

Sorry,

Larry.

0 Kudos