VMware Communities
DaSHTechnology
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vm keeps shutting down

I have setup a trial of Workstation 8 and am running an old copy of Small Business Server 2003 on it.  All seems to work well, except the vm won't stay running.  I have disabled sleep, hibernation, network card & power saving modes on the host and verified that there is no sleep, etc. set on the vm.  We can be in the middle of accessing it via SQL and the connection is dropped and I'll open workstation to find the system is off.

I've turned on logging and it appears as if the VM is getting a signal to shut down as it appears to go through a shutdown sequence, but I have no idea what could be causing this.  I have a couple other machines running elsewhere on Player and have never had this problem.

I am attaching part of the latest log which seems to show the machine shutting down, but I'm not familiar enough to see if a cause is listed...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Only a guess. Is the Windows guest OS activated properly? Did you already check the Windows event logs, to see whether the shutdown is initiated by the guest OS itself?

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Only a guess. Is the Windows guest OS activated properly? Did you already check the Windows event logs, to see whether the shutdown is initiated by the guest OS itself?

André

0 Kudos
DaSHTechnology
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Such an obvious thing to check...I neglected to check the Windows system log of the vm and, sure enough, my quick temp copy of Windows server was shutting down because I hadn't setup active directory!  That won't be a problem on the permanent version I'm copying there today, so I expect the problem is solved....thank you!

0 Kudos
Kazyzone
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

how can I do that? please help I have a licensed VM but it keeps shutting down every hour.

0 Kudos