VMware Communities
dennis9999
Contributor
Contributor

virturalize host running vmworkstation pro

I recently saw a thread on this and it sounds appealing. I am running workstation pro version 10 on win10 home with 2 current guests. Can you really create a guest from the physical machine workstation is running on? If so are there any precautions to take? The new win10 guest would be running on the same hardware, does this present any windows activation or licensing problems? Both win10 systems would be active at the same time using the same license key which I believe is not allowed.

Before proceeding I would assume you need shut down any application that makes frequent updates to the system being virturalized, email, databases, etc?

If the new guest is to be created on the physical disk being virtualized is vmware smart enough not to include the new guest files inside of itself?

The 2 existing guest systems are on the physical disk being virtualized, do they need to be shut down or suspended?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Dennis

0 Kudos
1 Reply
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> The new win10 guest would be running on the same hardware, does this present any windows activation or licensing problems?
The imported VM you would create is NOT running on the same hardware !!!
It runs on a completely different VIRTUAL hardware which just happens to use the same CPU as your original computer.
So yes - you will have a problem when you try to activate that VM.

0 Kudos