VMware Communities
_amohamed
Contributor
Contributor

virtualized intel vt-x/ept is not supported on this platform

Hi all,

I have a Dell Precision 7560 i7-1185H, 32G of RAM. I enabled virtualization in the BIOS.

However, when trying to launch a VM (GNS3, EVE-NG) for networking labs, I have this error message:

_amohamed_0-1667250769998.png

And when I click Yes, the error is below and the VM fails to start

_amohamed_1-1667250813933.png

So, I had to uncheck this option in the VM's option for it to start:

_amohamed_2-1667250971150.png

The VM does start, but with this warning

_amohamed_3-1667251054960.png

I believe having that option uncheck will lower the performance. When I start a couple of equipment in an Eve-NG lab (Router, Switch..), the CPU usage goes up drastically. The process name is vmware workstation vmx.

I'm using vMware Workstation 16 Pro.

I do need help, and I'd be very grateful if I get any.

Thanks.

Regards,

0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

As your post needs moving to the area for Workstation, I have reported it to the moderators.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Workstation will use Hyper-V as an hypervisor instead of the VMware hypervisor if Hyper-V is enabled in Windows. You can verify this if you look in the vmware.log file of the VM and search for the line containing "Monitor Mode:". If it's "ULM", then Workstation is using Hyper-V.

Nested virtualization can't be done if this is the case. This is a Hyper-V restriction as Microsoft hasn't provided a way for third-party virtualization solutions to do it. Certain features of Windows like virtualization based security and memory integrity also use Hyper-V components, which interfere with nested virtualization. 

Try the advice in https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Pro/VMware-Workstation-does-not-support-nested-... to disable Hyper-V and related components so that Workstation can use the VMware hypervisor.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos