VMware Communities
line7
Contributor
Contributor

virtualise windows 7 pro 64 on my own HP z420 workstation

Hi!

I wonder what will happen if I virtualise my windows 7 pro 64 on my own HP z420 workstation and try to run it in the cloud/or run on another PC (z620 workstation, other 7I-core PC) - there will be no problems with this? (I have heard that HP workstations have serials built into the motherboards)? the virtual system will not check for the cloud hardware to match the original z420 hardware?

This is a really mission-critical question for me….

Ideally I wish to fully virtualise a windows which has an automated routine constantly being executed – I need to be totally sure that I can do these two things with this virtual image (in case main machine dies):

1)            I can run it on any other PC  in the VMware (it can be another z420, z620 or a simple desktop computer).

2)            I can clone my disk and just swap it to another pc (it can be another z420, z620 or a simple desktop computer).

In light of the above – does it make sense to install a simple Windows 7 (with a key bought online) – add the necessary drivers, run on z420 and then virtualize/clone the Windows to run on any other computer? Instead of virtualising windows 7 pro 64 from the original, native recovery media included with my own HP z420 workstation?

Which Windows 7 version is best suited for a simple cloning/virtualisation? I need this whole automate pipeline to run smoothly on any PC – just stick in the hard drive and run.

Thanks a lot !

0 Kudos
3 Replies
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes, you surely can. You can create a VM and run it on any hardware as long as it supports VMware Workstation.

0 Kudos
line7
Contributor
Contributor

THANK YOU - BUT THEY TOLD ME THIS VERSION OF WINDOWS is tied to HP hardware(motyherboard) - this connection is cut when I virtualise the system?

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

If the Windows 7 OS came together with the purchase of the HP Z420, the licence would be an HP OEM licence. Windows OEM licences that come together with the purchase of a PC (be it desktop or laptop) from any of the big name vendor such as HP, Dell, etc are not transferable to another PC, be it physical or virtual, same brand/model or not.

You can look at %windir%\system32\license.rtf if you want to verify. Not exactly an exciting document to read; look for the word "Transfer" it might get you to the key paragraphs that you need to see.

If a physical PC is virtualised into a VM, its virtual hardware will be different from the original physical hardware and the existing installed Windows OS that had been virtualised will detect this and ask for reactivation. I don't know if Microsoft enforces the EULA conditions strictly or not during the re-activation process.

0 Kudos