VMware Communities
tonyrs
Contributor
Contributor

version.h problem trying to install VMtools into SUSE 10.3 as VMware guest

Hello. I've searched the threads for an answer to my problem, and have found similar issues but not this exact one.

I'm running openSUSE 10.3 as a guest VM under VMware 5.5.1. I'm trying to install VMtools to the openSUSE guest VM. While working through various errors, I've successfully installed the kernel source, GCC, C++, and Make.

To get past various errors, I also executed:

sudo make cloneconfig

sudo make modules_prepare

I'm stuck where the VMtools install script kicks off vmware-config-tools.pl, which tries to build the vmhgfs module. I'm stuck at the script error:

"The directory of kernel headers (version @@VMWARE@@ UTS_RELEASE) does not match your running kernel (version 2.6.22.5-31-default). Even if the kernel were to compile successfully, it would not load into the running kernel"

A workaround was described at opensuse.org specifying that the default header directory does not contain utsrelease.h, and that the path "/usr/src/linux-obj/i386//include/linux" should be used instead. (in my case, that translates to "/usr/src/linux-obj/i386/default/include/linux/").

I've tried passing both "/usr/src/linux-obj/i386/default/include/linux/" and "/usr/src/linux-obj/i386/default/include/" to the script, and I get the same error as above. Note that that directory contains both utsrelease.h and version.h on my system, but only utsrelease.h contains the version information.

I've tried adding the version information from utsrelease.h into version.h, but vi complains that it cannot write to a linked file.

Additional information:

>uname -r

2.6.22.5-default

>cat version.h

#define LINUX_VERSION_CODE 132630

#define KERNEL_VERSION(a,b,c) (((a) << 16) + ((b) << 😎 + (c))

>cat utsrelease.h

#define UTS_RELEASE "2.6.22.5-31-default"

Any thoughts on how to proceed?

Thanks,

TonyRS

P.S.

As an aside, I also cannot get cut-n-paste working from the guest to the host, and I don't think VMtools is required for this. Any thoughts there?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
rsa911
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Tony,

I would first upgrade to Vmware 5.5.5 (free upgrade to your existing 5.5 license)

don't say it will fix your issue but at least you will be sure your issue is not a bug present in previous releases

0 Kudos
tonyrs
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the suggestion, but upgrading to 5.5.5 didn't change the problem in any way. Still searching ...

0 Kudos