VMware Communities
dsmtoday
Contributor
Contributor

v12 workstation crashes on latest Win10 fast ring builds

Workstation 12.1.1, 12.5.0, and 12.5.2

I upgraded to build 14986 of the latest Win10.  After rebooting for upgrade, system would BSOD after Win10 was sitting at login screen.  It would either happen when I typed in the password in or shortly thereafter.  Letting the system sit there for a while without typing into the login box would not produce a BSOD.

The BSODs I would get indicated crashes in all sorts of different components with different codes and did not point to one component in particular.  Very random.

Could not get past the login screen, so was looking for a quick and dirty solution.

After reading that this is a problem in VirtualBox and they solved it by adjusting video card settings, and taking into account that these latest "creator" builds from Microsoft are supposed to focus on 3D, I took a stab and went to the preferences panel for the VM and turned off "Accelerate 3D graphics".  That did the trick.

Reading through other forums, this problem may also exist in earlier builds such as 14931.

Hopefully this info will be useful to others with this problem, and the Workstation developers.

BTW, I had this happen on two different computers with two different Win10 VM installs, using Workstation 12.1.1, 12.5.0, and 12.5.2.  Both computers were running v1607 of Win10.

0 Kudos
0 Replies