VMware Communities
qzwx
Contributor
Contributor

v12.5.0: vmrun command fail, response is Error: The operation is not supported for the specified parameters

I have vmware workstation pro 12.5.0 build-4352439.

Host OS is CentOS release 6.8 (Final)

All vmrun commands that I have tried fail. E.g:

$ vmrun list

Error: The operation is not supported for the specified parameters

$ vmrun -T ws suspend /home/xx/Documents/VM/U16/U16.vmx

Error: Cannot open VM: /home/xx/Documents/VM/U16/U16.vmx, The operation is not supported for the specified parameters

$ vmrun -T ws start "/home/xx/Documents/VM/U16/U16.vmx"

Error: Cannot open VM: /home/xx/Documents/VM/U16/U16.vmx, The operation is not supported for the specified parameters

$ vmrun -T ws stop "/home/xx/Documents/VM/U16/U16.vmx"

They all worked OK earlier. Only change since the OK situation is that the vmware workstation was upgraded from earlier version (12.1.1?) to 12.5.0.

Any ideas what's the problem and how to fix it?

vmrun is pretty critical for everyday VM maintenance, backups, suspends etc.

Tags (1)
4 Replies
dewalter777
Contributor
Contributor

I've had the issue with RHEL6.8. I think vmrun is looking for a newer version of zlib.

I've had some success with:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/lib/vmware/lib/libz.so.1"

and then do your vmrun command.

qzwx
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for this help. However I cannot say if it had helped in my situation because I decided to downgrade to WS 12.1.1

This is because I also experienced other failures / errors / problems after the upgrade to 12.5.0

- VMWare Workstation GUI crashed few times. VMs were still running, but all GUIs died. It was possible to restart the GUI and connect to the VM.

- After some time VM client network connections disappeared in all clients (Win10, Ubuntu 16, CentOS6), both NAT and bridged connections.

I uninstalled v12.5 and reinstalled v12.1.1. Now vmrun is working and VM network connections are back.

It seems that I was upgrading too early. Next time I will definitely wait longer and check the forum before upgrade.

0 Kudos
alexsch
Contributor
Contributor

It did the trick for me, thanks.

I had done this for the vmware-workstation-server init.d script which would not start up the servers, but slipped my mind when trying to figure out why vmrun in my other scripts was not work after upgrading to 12.5.

0 Kudos
steve_goddard
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Sorry for the delay in responding to this issue.

First, this issue has now been addressed and fixed in-house here at VMware.

Second, the workaround is as follows:

In a terminal window look at the contents of the following folder using ls:

"ls /usr/lib/vmware-vix/Workstation-12.0.0/64bit"

That folder should contain something like:

libcrypto.so.1.0.2

libssl.so.1.0.2

libxml2.so.1

manifest.txt

The problem is two fold. The first is that libz.so.1 is missing. Second, that the maniftest.txt also does not list a libz.so.1 entry.

To fix this do the following

1) edit manifest.txt file so that it contains the following

libcrypto.so.1.0.2

libssl.so.1.0.2

libz.so.1

libxml2.so.1

So just insert the libz entry as above.

2) Copy the vmware libz to the "/usr/lib/vmware-vix/Workstation-12.0.0/64bit" folder

cp /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libz.so.1/libz.so.1 /usr/lib/vmware-vix/Workstation-12.0.0/64bit

After this has been done you should be able to run vmrun without issue.

Let me know if this doesn't work for you.

Thanks

Steve

Thanks. Steve
0 Kudos