VMware Communities
Bryce_Stenberg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

usb3 flash drive not available?

Hi,

I'm running vmware workstation 7.1.2 on a windows 7 pro 64 bit host machine (has a gigabyte ga-890fxa-ud5 motherboard which has a couple of usb3 ports).

I have a virtual machine installed which boots the OS on a usb3 flash drive.

If I plug this into any usb2 port vmware is able to let me connect it.

When I plug it into the usb3 ports it does not show up at all (windows host does recognize it however).I'd like to run it off a usb3 port for the increased speed.

Is usb3 just not supported for storage devices yet?

Or is there some trick to make vmware see it?

Thanks,

Bryce Stenberg.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

In the Workstation User's Manual under Virtual Machine Specifications on page 28 it states ...

USB Ports

■ USB 1.1 UHCI (Universal Host Controller Interface) controller.

■ USB 2.0 EHCI (Enhanced Host Controller Interface) controller. (Use the virtual

machine settings editor to enable USB 2.0 support. See “Enable the USB 2.0

Controller for a Virtual Machine” on page 352.)

■ Supports most devices, including USB printers, scanners, PDAs, hard disk drives,

memory card readers, and digital cameras, as well as streaming devices such as

webcams, speakers, and microphones.

Bryce_Stenberg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks. Does anyone know if vmware have plans to support USB3 devices in the near future, or ever?

Regards, Bryce.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

duplicate reply removed

Message was edited by: WoodyZ

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Does anyone know if vmware have plans to support USB3 devices in the near future, or ever?

The typical reply to question like that is... VMware policy is to not comment on unannounced feature, time lines, etc, etc.

0 Kudos
Bryce_Stenberg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ok, thanks for your insight Woody. Have a great day. -Bryce.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

You could try to use the usb3 device as a physical disk instead.

To do that you would open the virtual hardware editor - click add - select "add physical disk" - then select the USB3 device

(first find out which harddisk number was assigned to it in diskmanagement)

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos
Bryce_Stenberg
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

From memory I think that how I first tried to set up this VM was by trying to make the flash drive a physical disk, but I think it didn't appear as a usable hard drive in the list.

thanks, Bryce.

0 Kudos
rami123
Contributor
Contributor

At least VMware should change that error message: "The connection for the USB device was unsuccessful" .... "DRIVER ERROR"

It is unclear what was the problem. VMware should add informative message that USB3 is not supported.

Thanks.

0 Kudos