VMware Communities
doncaruana
Contributor
Contributor

usb drive is always a 'vmware usb device'

I recently attached a usb drive to my machine (win7x64) and wanted to use it in one of my vms (version 7.1.1 build-282343). This all worked perfectly and I was able to do what I needed to do. However, now everytime I want to use this same drive it becomes a "vmware usb device", even when vmware is not running (even after a reboot). This actually ends up having a negative effect on my day-to-day stuff so I'm wondering if anyone knows how to tell win7 to stop treating this as a vmware device except when vmware is running.

Thanks,

Don

0 Kudos
2 Replies
10youngr
Contributor
Contributor

I too am having this exact same problem. The flash drive should be recognized as a 'USB Flash Drive' like all my other drives, but for some reason it is called a 'VMware USB Device' in several locations (ex. in safely remove hardware). I think this problem actually began when my computer lost power while VMware was still running my flash drive was still connected. Since I realize that VMware changes several properties of drives when they are connected, then changes them back when they disconnect, I am wondering if there is some place VMware stores these initial drive properties so I could restore my drive using them. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Roger

0 Kudos
10youngr
Contributor
Contributor

I didn't search through the whole forum before, but I just found an article that solved this problem for me if you want to try it:

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1461375#1461375

Good luck,

Roger

0 Kudos