VMware Communities
vishal18
Contributor
Contributor

unable to drag and drop

I am using virtual workstation on windows 7 . Unfortunately i am unable to drag and drop or use copy and paste command . The options have been enabled in the settings for (Drag and drog as well as copy and paste ) . but it doesnt work

Please help me .

0 Kudos
7 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Did you install VMware Tools?

If you already have installed VMware Tools then there might be a problem with it and you will have to:

- completely uninstall VMware Tools

- reboot VM

- install VMware Tools

- reboot VM

The "repair install" isn't likely to work.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
vishal18
Contributor
Contributor

Thank u

In the same system ,the administrator is able to drag and drop .But not the actual user . Do u think this may help?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Yes it might be the clue to the problem you are having.

Sounds like you are bumping into a windows security limitation.

Windows does not allow for drag and drop between different windows users.

For example If the other application you are trying to drag&drop to is running with administrative rights and Workstation is running as a normal user then you cannot use drag and drop by design. This is also true for clipboard operations such as copy&paste.

Edit: This is not unique for VMware Workstation, you will see the same issue with for example Microsoft Notepad.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
vishal18
Contributor
Contributor

It was working before..drag and drop option .But it is nt working now .please suggest

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Can you attach a vmware.log file from your Virtual Machine to your reply here?

--

Wil

0 Kudos
sunyj
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi vishal18,

With which user did you install Workstation, the administrator or the "actual user" ?

I guess you run Workstation with the "actual user", right ?

0 Kudos
vishal18
Contributor
Contributor

Actual user .

0 Kudos