VMware Communities
hgrover
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ui log directory full

Hi

I am using VMWare workstation 4.5.3 build-19414. When i start up VMWare i get the following error:

" The directory "/tmp/" has less than 135 MB of free space. Running out of free space in this directory may corrupt the virtual machine's RAM. This is likely to cause the operating system to crash. To avoid these problems, VMWare recommends you move or delete files to free up space now. After you free up space, select Continue. To ignore this condition until you power off or suspend the virtual machine, select "Ignore"

Even if I choose to Ignore i get an error stating that teh temp files of this config are stored in /tmp/vmware-root which is on a full filesystem, at the end of which I have to abort the vm

I see that /tmp has the ui log there. I do not see anything which can be freed on /tmp, Is there a way to stop this logging or change it to some other directory to get rid of thsi error?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Then you should have at least 1GB free before you start VMs.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

How large is your /tmp and how much physical memory do you have?

0 Kudos
hgrover
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

/tmp was not much. / was 96% full and I cleaned up some data. I have not seen the error afterwards.

The memory allocated for the VM is 512 MB. The total is 1 GB

0 Kudos
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Then you should have at least 1GB free before you start VMs.

0 Kudos
hgrover
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for your reply. One more thing tthough:

Is this a pre requisite? Or is this a conclusion based on the observation?

0 Kudos
oreeh
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This is a prerequisite since Workstation creates a swap file for the guest.

Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Or only checks if it would be able to create a swap file that big, if it needs to .