VMware Communities
LinuxG1rl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ubuntu 16.4 - after updating kernel, vmware workstation-pro 12 does not launch anymore

Hi,

I ran the Ubuntu 16.4 64 bit software updater and it apparently upgraded my kernel to 4.4.0-62-generic. I have VMware® Workstation 12 Pro 12.5.2 build-4638234 installed and after rebooting the computer I can no longer launch vmware.

When trying to launch via cmd, I get the following:

vmware

Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "atk-bridge": /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libatspi.so.0: undefined symbol: g_type_class_adjust_private_offset

Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "unity-gtk-module": libunity-gtk-module.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

(vmware-modconfig:6568): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",

(vmware-modconfig:6568): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",

Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module": libcanberra-gtk-module.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "atk-bridge": /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libatspi.so.0: undefined symbol: g_type_class_adjust_private_offset

Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "unity-gtk-module": libunity-gtk-module.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

(vmware-tray:6599): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",

(vmware-tray:6599): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",

Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module": libcanberra-gtk-module.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

GLib-GIO-Message: Using the 'memory' GSettings backend.  Your settings will not be saved or shared with other applications.

GLib-GIO-Message: Using the 'memory' GSettings backend.  Your settings will not be saved or shared with other applications.

When  trying to launch via GUI I get the following errors in the attachments. Any ideas? Any help will be much appreciated, thank you so much in advance!!!

27 Replies
LinuxG1rl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Sure, no problem. This community has given me so much that I would be glad to be able to give back. Let's hope I can find something to help you.

0 Kudos
fracarfzx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi LinuxG1rl, sorry to bother you again!

Have you read my post?

Do you have any idea?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
LinuxG1rl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi there, I didn't forget about you, I just didn't find anything useful yet 😞

If I do, I will post here right away!

Good luck!

0 Kudos
fracarfzx
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, thank you very much!

Excuse me for the message, but I'm very frustrated!

Thank you again!

Fra

0 Kudos
LinuxG1rl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Don't worry about it, I completely understand, have been in this frustated situation many times, but eventually most problems get solved, don't give up 😉

0 Kudos
fmouse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

wila​, I'm having a very similar problem. I have an old box on which I installed Ubuntu 14.04 and had VMware running OK. I just pulled it up to 16.04 LTS. It's all 32-bit so I'm stuck with VMW 10.x, but it worked fine before the dist upgrade.

After the upgrade, I can't get a VMware console (much less a VM), although VMware seems to be running:

$ ps auxw|grep vm

root        44  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        S<   Sep22   0:00 [vmstat]

root      1873  0.0  0.0  33868  2624 ?        Ssl  Sep22   0:00 /usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware-vmblock-fuse -o subtype=vmware-vmblock,default_permissions,allow_other /var/run/vmblock-fuse

root      1880  0.0  0.0  17772  2292 ?        S    Sep22   0:00 /usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmamqpd

root      1902  0.0  0.0  13488   520 ?        Ss   Sep22   0:00 /usr/sbin/vmware-authdlauncher

root      2030  0.0  0.0  13812  1752 ?        Ss   Sep22   0:00 /usr/bin/vmware-usbarbitrator

I tried running:

sudo /usr/bin/vmware-modconfig --console --install-all

as you suggested for LinuxG1rl and got "Failed to get gcc information." and a return to the CLI prompt.

I'm at a loss!! The VM was only running an old copy of WIndows XP but I have hundreds of $ of templates for CD labels and inserts since that's the VM that runs my professional color printer. I desperately need to get VMware back running again!

Can you help me?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi fmouse,

First question would be if you have gcc installed?

If that's the case, then what is the gcc version?

eg:

gcc --version

Btw, if you still have an old kernel from before the dist-upgrade then as a quick workaround you might try rebooting into that previous kernel. I used that as a workaround on an old system of mine for a while that broke an old vmware install, but worked fine with the older kernel. Not perfect, but as it was an old machine it was a good temporary solution.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
fmouse
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

wila​, thanks so much, but I think we can call off the dogs. At 2 AM, short on sleep with low blood sugar I wasn't thinking as well as I could have, and was about ready to climb into a coffin and pull the lid shut! My brain, hitting on about half its cylinders, registered gcc as gtk or another graphic component rather than as the C compiler (something I've known and used for years!). I had re-linked /usr/bin/gcc to gcc-4, I think, and then unlinked it at some point and forgot, so there was indeed no gcc!

I got up at 7 this morning and with a clearer head went at the problem again. The basic problem is that as time goes on, the 32-bit VMW 10.* products become increasingly orphaned. The compile/link requires gcc-4 (instead of gcc-5) and kernel header files which are no longer in the Ubuntu 16.04 distribution.

I ran (as root) the /usr/bin/vmware script, which I assume invokes vmware-modconfig, but it has pretty clear error messages, which I had to address one after the other. I had to Google for a couple of obsolete header file packages which had to be installed and link gcc-4 to /usr/bin/gcc, after which everything built properly. I ran the following (and will put it into both /usr/bin/vmware and /usr/bin/vmware-netcfg):

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/vmware/lib/libglibmm-2.4.so.1/:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

After this, much to my great relief, I got the VMW console to come up. I left it at that, assuming that I'll probably be able to get my VM up, too.

Two points to take away from this: First, never try to do something this complex and fiddly with impaired cognition. I pulled together the pieces this morning and had it all done in about 45 minutes. Second, SHAME on VMware for orphaning this software! I don't need a version upgrade. I could have done with an upgrade-in-place of  10.0.6 VWS so as to make the 32-bit version compile with more recent kernel headers and the current gcc-5. After all, my VMW only runs a VM running Windows XP so I can put together and print CD inserts and labels for music products.

Last but not least, thank you so much for weighing in on this and offering help! This, and the help you gave to LinuxG1rl, puts me in mind of the Internet of the early 90s, when most folks who understood and used it were friendly tech-nuts who took real pleasure in helping each other out. I'm 76 years old, and I was there Smiley Happy