VMware Communities
turalo
Contributor
Contributor

time and date settings lost after reboot or shutdown win XP

Hi guys, I'm new here, and actually new (not professional) user of vmware.

I have isntalled windows xp sp3 image on a vmware workstation,  for testing pursposes.

The problem is when I change the date of this xp image, aftger restart or shutdown, the time is set to today automaticaly, I also tried turning off time server syncrhonization in time and date settings in win xp. but that didno help.

I want to make sure when I set it for example to year 2005, it stays in year 2005. otherwise I have to set it everytime I start the machine.

any advice / help is much apriciated.

thanks in advance.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
turalo
Contributor
Contributor

I have also tried to disabling windows time service, but no luck, after every restart or shutdown it get somehow the real time and sets it in the system.

0 Kudos
milton123
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Please have a look this thread ..

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/121926

Cheers, Udin

0 Kudos
turalo
Contributor
Contributor

I didnot find anything usefull in that post, that you refered to .

and even the things they say must be in the vmx I dont have in my vmx file. so I dont think this is a solution.

strange that on such a bussy forum / comunity nobody knows how to set this right. VMware is such a famous and most used, and we cannot even keep the settings as set ?

Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

I'm afraid you will have to set the time each time after powering on the VM. On a physical system the OS gets the time from the BIOS/hardware clock. For a virtual machine, this BIOS clock is the host's time, so your VM will always be set to the host's current time when you power it on.

André

0 Kudos
turalo
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, at least for now I know that this is umpossible.

0 Kudos