VMware Communities
rpcblast
Contributor
Contributor

thinprint question

I have been experimenting with thinprint, and so far I like what I see.  One thing I noticed, however, was in the guest,  under printer properties ->thinprint device setup, all options are greyed out(compression/duplexing).  Is this normal, or is something else likely up?

I am using windows 7 x64 as my host, Workstation 7.1.1, and windows 7 x32 as my guest OS, using a small samsung laser USB printer.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
kermic
Expert
Expert

I've had some issues with thinprint also (in View 4.5 environments) regarding limited functionality. Sometimes changing the driver on printer instance from thinprint to manufacturers (Samsung in your case) native one helps.

We have even opened a support ticked with VMware on this and they confirmed that TP has limited options at the moment and possible solutions include use of native drivers as well as not using / installing ThinPrint at all.

In your case "greyed out" might also be related to permissions. Try logging in with an account that has administrator privileges.

Hope this helps.

WBR

Imants

rpcblast
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your quick response.  The account is an admin account.  I will try turning UAC off but i doubt that is the issue.  I just tried it in a windows 2000 and the options were not greyed out.  

Edit: looks like it was UAC.  I thought windows 7 had fixed most of those issues but I guess not.

Message was edited by: rpcblast

0 Kudos
rpcblast
Contributor
Contributor

Was UAC.

0 Kudos