VMware Communities
brandit
Contributor
Contributor

the monitor is mandatory?

I install the vmware on a linux blade server. After power on the virtural machine, there is error message popped " failed to initialize monitor". Then I want to remove the monitor from the hardware list, but failed, it seems monitor is the mandatory. But the server I use does not have monitor, and even does not have interface for monitor connecting. How can I do?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The monitor referred to in the error message is the 'virtual machine monitor,' which is also sometimes referred to as the hypervisor. It doesn't refer to a piece of graphical display hardware. Please post your vmware.log file.

0 Kudos
brandit
Contributor
Contributor

I could not find the vmware.log file, even use find command search from the "/".

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

The vmware.log files are usually in the same folder the Virtual Machine's .vmx configuration file is and when you locate it attach the file to a reply and do not copy and paste the content into a reply. If there is more then one vmware*.log file you can archive then and attach the .zip file.

0 Kudos
brandit
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

The following is the files under the virtural machine direcotory: /root/vmware/Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4. Which is the file? Thanks.

# ls

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4-s001.vmdk Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4-s009.vmdk

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4-s002.vmdk Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4-s010.vmdk

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4-s003.vmdk Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4-s011.vmdk

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4-s004.vmdk Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.vmdk

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4-s005.vmdk Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.vmsd

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4-s006.vmdk Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.vmx

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4-s007.vmdk Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.vmxf

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4-s008.vmdk

#

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Which is the file?

None that you listed.

Have you actually installed the Guest OS into the Virtual Machine or are you getting this error when starting the VM to install the Guest OS?. If the VM has yet to run the vmware.log will not have yet been created.

0 Kudos
brandit
Contributor
Contributor

I did not install any OS in the

0 Kudos
brandit
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I got this error when I start the VMware to install an OS.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

The only thing I have to offer is to check the MD5 or SHA1 checksum of the installer you downloaded and then uninstall/reinstall VMware Workstation and reboot the system after the install even if not prompted to do so.

0 Kudos
brandit
Contributor
Contributor

You mean this error should not happen even there is no monitor? Accturally before this error, there is another error. It says " there are too many virtural machines are running, .." But in fact there is only one virtual machine.

0 Kudos