VMware Communities
bgabrhelik
Contributor
Contributor

the incomplete crashdump is not created on Windows 7 Guest after BSOD

We use the VMware Workstation for testing purpose and our product also contains the File System Driver. We are facing problem that when BSOD arises in Guest the next reboot stalls in phase when widows logo is shown and kernel crash dump is incomplete. When we "Power off" the guest and "Power on" it again the boot passes successfully, but as I said crash dump is incomplete.

As I am driver developer I tried to attach to Guest in phase it stalls with WinDbg. It hangs in completion of some PNP request for LSI_SCSI device and completion routine is interrupted by interrupt. I don't know the origin of interrupt, but it seemed to me it might be intelIde driver. So my believe is that the problem might be either in host emulated storage device or in guest storage driver. The storage controller of Guest is LSI Logic (legacy SCSI). I tried to find newer driver on LSI to update guest LSI_SCSI driver, but didn't find.

I can repro this also with storage controller is “LSI Logic SAS” and was able to fix by update of storage device driver in Guest from LSI for LSI SAS3041E-R

We have following configuration:

Host-OS: Windows 7 x64

VMWare Workstation V. 7.1.1

Guest OS: Windows 7 x86

Virtual disks SCSI

We can repro this problem at least on two Host with different HW configuration.

Note that this problem was reproducible with older VMware Workstations. It seem that factor is Guest OS - Windows 7.

Can I somehow change existing virtual disk from “LSI Logic” to “LSI Logic SAS”? Some other solution or workaround?

I am attaching log from my winDbg session.

Thanks in advance for any hint.

Bronislav Gabrhelik

0 Kudos
1 Reply
bgabrhelik
Contributor
Contributor

Oops, the subject should be: The incomplete crashdump on Windows 7 Guest after BSOD

0 Kudos