VMware Communities
smartnut007
Contributor
Contributor

static IP on NAT

I am trying to use my guest OS to run a server application.

Hence i want to assign a static IP to it .

I havent decided between NAT or bridged networking , as i am not sure if the guest will have to service requests besides the host.

I am assuming that if i am using bridged , I will have to send the MAC address of my VM to the Network administrator and request a static IP( they dont support dynamic DNS if thats of any relevance ).

correct me if i am wrong with the above.

my actual question is regarding NAT. I know that by default the VMWare virtual DHCP server assigns a dynamic IP . But , how do i get a static IP for the guest when using NAT.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
smartnut007
Contributor
Contributor

I am using 64bit XP on the host and 64bit server 2003 on the guest.

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

In Windows (any version) you specify the static IP addr from within the Network Control Panel, select IP Protocol and Properties. It doesn't matter if the VM is bridged or NAT. Whether you need to inform the network admin of the VM's MAC addr is thier decision, but is not needed for Windows to have a static IP.

If you use NAT for your VM, you'll also probably have to set port forwarding.

KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

If you what your guest OS to have a static Ip, you just give it a sytatic IP from within the guest OS,. It does not matter if you are using Bridged, NAT or Host-Only.

If you do used NAT, you will need to refer to the documentation on how to configure NAT port forwarding, since external PC's other than the host will not be able to access the web server running in the VM because the port will be closed by default on the NAT router.