VMware Communities
plc4cmcs
Contributor
Contributor

starting vmware workstation "/usr/bin/vmware" (No such file or directory)

Hi

I have been using VMWare workstation for some time, and was looking into virtualizing a physical hardware box that I have standing.

In that respect I have had vmware-converter-standalone 4.0.1-161434 installed on mylaptop - only to find out that I can only virtualize to a vmware server product.

As a result I installed vmware server - only to discover that vmware server 2 (free edition) was not an option in using vmware.converter.

as a result I uninstalled vmware-server, vmware-converter (I don't remember how) and after that My problems started.

When trying to start VMWare Workstation - I get the message from the subject.

After messing around trying to uninstall and reinstall I'm now left with a laptop that I cannot wither uninstall or install onto - I guess I would like to get som help how to completely remove all traces of vmware on my laptop - so that I can install from fresh.

My laptop is running Ubuntu 9.04.

when installing "sudo dpkg -ivmware-workstation_6.5.3-185405_i386.deb" - I get these messages:

Selecting previously deselected package vmware-workstation.

(Reading database ... 191635 files and directories currently installed.)

Unpacking vmware-workstation (from vmware-workstation_6.5.3-185405_i386.deb) ...

Setting up vmware-workstation (6.5.3-185405) ...

Extracting VMware Installer...done.

Uninstallation was successful

this end with the message "Uninstallation was successful" - which suggests that something is wrong.

I don't have "/usr/bin/vmware" nor "/usr/bin/vmware-config.pl"

trying to uninstall using "sudo dpkg -r vmware-workstation"

gives me this response:

(Reading database ... 191639 files and directories currently installed.)

Removing vmware-workstation ...

[: 9: Illegal number: remove

again - suggesting that something is wrong.

Can anybody assist me?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
plc4cmcs
Contributor
Contributor

hi again

now I have managed to get vmware workstation installed and is able to start the application.

It turned out that something was wrong with the file /etc/vmware/databas. After renaming this file - I got the installer to install the application again.

After installation has now completed - I don't have the /dev/vmci, /dev/vmnetx devices - how do I "reinstall" them?

0 Kudos
VMStreak
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you run "/usr/bin/vmware-config.pl" after installing the workstation ?

PS: Please award points if any of the above information is useful.

PS: Please award points if any of the above information is useful.
0 Kudos
plc4cmcs
Contributor
Contributor

hi

I did come across this file - but it's not on my system anymore - so no I did not run it.

/Poul

0 Kudos
plc4cmcs
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

After many unseccesful uninstall and install procedures, along with a certain amouont of messing around, I suddenly had the correnct uninstall-tool to do a complete uninstall by using vmware-uninstall.

After this - and a reboot and a reinstall - the problem seems to have fixed itself.

0 Kudos