VMware Communities
blackpuma
Contributor
Contributor

splwow64.exe consumes memory

I assume that this is something not under Workstation's control, but when I run Workstationon Vista, the process splwow64.exe keeps consuming more and more memory, along with 22-25% of CPU time, eventually to the tune of gigabytes of RAM when it starts to interfere with the host machine's performance. Thus I kill the processat least once a day, where it reappears and starts consuming memory again.

Any ideas on how to slap either Workstation or splwow64 so the memory consumption will stop?

I run multiple XP and CentOS as guest OSes most of the day.

VMware Workstation 7.0.0 build-203739

Host: Vista Home Premium(64-bit)

CPU: Quad-core AMD Phenom 9759

8GB RAM

0 Kudos
6 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

what does splwow64.exe do - AFAIK it does not come with VMware

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
blackpuma
Contributor
Contributor

It's not part of VMware. It's the Vista print thunking layer between 32/64 bits.

0 Kudos
etienneb
Contributor
Contributor

Ok but i'm running Windows Seven, and the process is launched by VMWare....

So i know it's not directly a VMWare service but VMWare seems to use it in a way it made it leaked memories and CPU.

Without VMWare product running there's no error.

So i don't really car if it's not directly a VMWare dependencies, all what i see is when i used VMWare product it launch this services and made crash my computer.

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Perhaps removing the ThinPrint device (Printer) from your Guest's configuration would address this problem?

0 Kudos
etienneb
Contributor
Contributor

Yes thanks,

I've disconnect it last time but forget to configure vmware not to use it anymore, so last time I've launch my vm it started again Smiley Sad

Thanks for this reminder Smiley Wink

So kind of solved.

0 Kudos
KStolten
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there!

Can any of you guys tell if this issue is also relavant on vSphere 4.x (or newer)? Running on VM verison 7.

Kind regards

K Stolten

0 Kudos