VMware Communities
mgcAlanB
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

some other host already uses address

I'm currently installing VMware Workstation 6.0.5, so maybe this will solve my problem. In the meantime, I thought I'd ask about an issue I'm facing that led me to upgarde from 6.0.4 ...

I have VMware Workstation 6.0.4 on WinXP hosting a Linux RedHat OS. I set my IP address to be static. It has always worked just fine ... 'til today. The last time this worked was on Friday the 29th.

Today, I could not get an IP address/ethernet connection to my Linux OS inside VMware. Whenever I'd try to activate the Eth0, I'd get a message:

"some other host already uses address 192.168.1.151"

When I tried to allow DHCP, it gave me the same message, which is even more odd, since any IP address from my router should do.

Now, I saw some post about an "automatic" choosing of the ethernet card by VMware and that it could be automatically binding to my VPN ethernet device, instead of my physical ethernet device. And, that this person set it up to bind to the physical. But, I don't know how one accomplishes that - it wasn't detailed.

Has anyone seen this? Solved it? Etc.?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

1. Have you tried to ping this IP to see if it is really online? After pinging it you can check with ARP what the MAC address and try to figure out to which system the IP belongs. Is it possible that this IP is used in the VPN?

2. To set the static binding of the VMnet0 adapter go to "Edit > Virtual Network Settings... > Host Virtual Network Mapping". See the attached picture.

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

1. Have you tried to ping this IP to see if it is really online? After pinging it you can check with ARP what the MAC address and try to figure out to which system the IP belongs. Is it possible that this IP is used in the VPN?

2. To set the static binding of the VMnet0 adapter go to "Edit > Virtual Network Settings... > Host Virtual Network Mapping". See the attached picture.

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
mgcAlanB
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for the solution in step #2 you provided.

Upgrading to the latest somehow solved the issue, for the time being. But, with your help, I was able to force the proper selection of the Ethernet card I prefer and now I know things will work just find.

BTW, to answer your question - I had tried to ping the system after a tnsping of the database's listener failed to respond in a timely manner. That was when I realized I had an issue and then later found that I couldn't get/set an IP address. ifconfig had also returned an error count greater than zero and did not display an IP address.

Thanks again! :smileygrin:

0 Kudos