VMware Communities
EinHexenMeister
Contributor
Contributor

snapshot with 2nd (data) drive in persistent mode

hi 2 all of U !!!

i run sw 71

drive 1 : scsi ... holds os an tools (compiler)

drive 2 : ide ... persistent mode ... holds source data and compiled data

if i'm updating the os and tools i would like to take snapshots ... i do not need any snapshots of the data stored on the persitent drive

the snapshot option in the snapshot mgr is greyed out while guest is running ...

is there a way to take snapshots of drive 1 (scsi) while guest running and drive 0 connected

what is the correct procedure to take a snapshot of dirve 1 ... do i need to shut down and then take a snapshot ???

thankss in advance ... vielen dank im voraus Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

... the snapshot option in the snapshot mgr is grayed out while guest is running ...

I can't tell you the reason why VMware doesn't allow snapshots of powered on VM's with independant persistent disks, however that's how it is. The only way to take a snapshot is to power off the VM. I usually prefer taking snapshots from powered off VM's, since it takes less space (no memory snapshot required) and you will have a consistent state of the guest.

André

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

guten Tag Herr hexemeister

I would power off the VM - remove the second disk using the virtual hardware editor - and then take the snapshot.

Then add the second disk again.

VMX-parameters- WS FAQ -[ MOAcd|http://sanbarrow.com/moa241.html] - VMDK-Handbook

0 Kudos
EinHexenMeister
Contributor
Contributor

thanks 2 all of U !!!

this seems like a solution i can live with

also it's interesting that a snapshot with a powered off machine takes less disc space

should i remove the persistent drive and then clone it to avoid that the cloning creates a new duplicate in it's folder ... i'll try it

thanks again so far ... vielen vielen dank Smiley Happy

0 Kudos