VMware Communities
ShijiaLi
Contributor
Contributor

snapshot backup function

Does Vm Workstation support automatic snapshot backup function please? Or is there a third-party tool that can realize automatic snapshout back up funtion please?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I guess you mean backing up a VM which has snapshots such that a restore process would also recover the ability to stil use the snapshots afterwards?

Why do you need the snapshots? Why not just perform multiple backups?

Have a look at Vimalin, created by forum user @wila 

https://www.vimalin.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Backup Now 
Prompt me VM has auto protect snapshots enabled, unabled, to backup.
How to operate?

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Vimalin is not compatible with auto protect snapshots at this moment.
The reason for this is that Vimalin cannot pause or temporarily disable the auto protect snapshot feature.
Without that an auto protect snapshot might happen while a backup is in progress. In that case your backup would be corrupt.
Right now the only solution for this is to disable auto protect, sorry about that.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Can VMware Workstation expand the disk size of Linux system data disk online or offline.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Offline, you have to shut down the VM in order to be able to extend the virtual disk.

There are two ways, depending on your filesystem used in the guest OS.
If you use LVM then you can either make the virtual disk larger  or add a new virtual disk and then use LVM to add that new free space and extend your disk.

Any other file systems, increase the virtual disk size and then resize the virtual disk using partitioning tools.
This might require to boot from a live CD so you can resize the file system.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos