Contributor

slow performance issue

Hello, I'm running windows 10 vm on my computer:

* i7-1165g7

* 32gb ram

* 1tb ssd

* intel iris xe

(lenovo thinkpad t14s)

and i'm having awful performance issues, whenever i try to use the vm all of my cpu performance turns to 100%:

performance.png

the cpu is not that weak so i'm guessing there is another problem, i'm running vmware workstation pro 15.5.7 (also tried vmware workstation pro 16+)

does someone encountered the same problem?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What is the hardware configuration of the VM?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
blahblah2
Contributor
Contributor

blahblah2_0-1652263127623.png

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Are VMs with normal SCSI-disks also affected ?
Do not use "autodetect" for CDroms- easpecially not in case the laptop still has a CD/DVD-drive.
As always - a vmware.log may help

0 Kudos
blahblah2
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry for the delayed answer, the vmware.log is attached to the message

The vm still takes 100% cpu when I turn the machine on (vmware version is 15.5.7)

0 Kudos
blahblah2
Contributor
Contributor

please help

0 Kudos
blahblah2
Contributor
Contributor

up

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

Two potential problems:
(1) Hyper-V is detected on the Windows host
(2) The VM is allocated with 8 vCPU while the host CPU is 4c/8t
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/208921/intel-core-i71165g7-processor-12m-cache-...

For (1)
When Hyper-V is detected, VMware Workstation (starting with version 15.5.5 and and you have 15.5.7), it will use the Windows Hypervisor API instead of native Intel VT-x calls. So there are extra layers of software the VM will have to go through and it executes at User Level privilege instead of faster ring 0 with Intel VT-x. So there will be a performance hit.

Disable Hyper-V on the host, if you don't have need for it. There are numerous posts in this community forum regarding on how to remove this.

For (2)
To compound with the slower Hypervisor API, you have allocated 8vCPUs while the host CPU only has 4core/8threads; so it won't be surprising that VM and host OS/applications/services will compete. Try to reduce it to 4 (or 6 if the VM really needs that much).