VMware Communities
medofrefo
Contributor
Contributor

slow booting in new versions of vmware

hi everyone

i've encountered this issue for months and i saw some people on the internet talking about it so i'm pretty sure that this is not the first time someone is asking about it but i searched the site and couldn't find my problem

anyway, the problem is if you use an old version of vmware (i tested 6 & 7) you'll see that booting of the vm is fast compared to newest versions. ( version 8 is also fast compared to 9 and 10 but not as fast as v 6 & 7)

so the slowest versions are 9 and greater

so is there some configurations that can be done to make the booting process faster ????

btw by booting time i mean the time when the bios is being loaded (before the OS booting stage even started)

another thing i notice is that if you try to move the mouse you'll hear a noise and the mouse will lag to move

5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

For some users such an issue was caused by on-access virus scanning of the .vmdk files. What you may try is to exclude *.vm* (i.e. .vmdk, .vmem, .vmss, ...) files from being scanned, to see whether this helps.

André

medofrefo
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for your reply but no it's not the anti virus that causes the issue because i don't have an anti virus anyway

the thing is that i've been using vmware for months,generally version 8 to 10 and yes i noticed the issue with the program but i didn't pay attention because i thought that it's normal to have some difficulty playing two operating systems at one time but i found a lot of topics on the arabic forums about this issue and some topic talked about using version 6 to solve the problem and when i tried it it works !! but i became curious to know the problem and you know that a lot of the VMs that you can download from the internet was made with the newest version of VM workstation so i'll have some compatibility problem

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

None of the later versions ever reached the performance of WS 6.
Though many appliances can be downgraded to run on WS 6.5 this will not work for the latest Windows versions.

medofrefo
Contributor
Contributor

version 6 has less performance but obviously  less features than later versions

How can i downgrade an appliance :smileyshocked: ???

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Menu > VM > Manage > Change Hardware Compatibility

or if that fails by directly editing the vmx-file

0 Kudos