VMware Communities
dennis9999
Contributor
Contributor

single file vs multi file guest VM

I am new to vmware coming from a long relationship with microsoft virtual PC. I used workstation pro to convert a microsoft VM and it was created as a single file. I then used workstation pro to create a vista guest from my physical vista laptop and it was created as multi file. Is there any advantage of one over the other? If so would it be advisable to convert the multi file VM to a single file VM? The vista guest will have much more I/O activity along with adding and deleting files.

Thanks for your help.

Dennis

0 Kudos
2 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Dennis,

Always go with the defaults Smiley Wink

The virtual disk split file is really the best choice even while it may seem a bit unlogical at first.

With split files you:

- get a better response, faster results when doing any VMware disk operation such as snapshots, shrink, compact, extend

- have less chance of getting into a "all data lost" scenario when something bad happens such as running out of disk space

- don't need to have the full virtual disk size on free disk when committing snapshots

The "but it will be less performant" notion is in practice not true.

Really do yourself a pleasure and do not try to consolidate it into a single disk file, you are not doing yourself a favor by doing so.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
dennis9999
Contributor
Contributor

Wila:

Thank you kind sir, as usual you are most helpful. I was on top of this stuff 30 years ago (MCSE) in the NT/mainframe world but things change so rapidly and like they say, if you snooze you lose.

Dennis

0 Kudos