VMware Communities
ioan1
Contributor
Contributor

shrink function was gone in ws 9.0 ?

hi all

today i installed workstation 9.0 on linux host, and tried to use windows guest workstations. in previous versions of vmware i shrinked vmdk-files using vmware tools installed in windows guest. but in new version vmware tools doesn't have any interface - when i click to icon in taskbar, only 'about' window appears. there are no information in official documentation on this topic. who knows the new way to shrink vmdk disks?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
ioan1
Contributor
Contributor

i've found command line way to do this:

c:\program files\vmware\vmware tools\vmwaretoolboxcmd.exe disk shrink c:\

but how to do this in simple one-click old style way?

0 Kudos
Entegy
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It seems VMware removed the GUI for all guest-side VMware Tools options...

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

I think we will soon find small GUI tools to get back that functionality ...
Such a thing could be easily created with Autoit for example

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

VMware Tools GUI was requested by many in the beta TP2.  Somebody from VMware said it would be forthcoming.  If it is would there be  a free upgrade 9.0.1 that would linclude it?  Or is this just vaporware?  Sure wish somebody from VMware would reply.[

0 Kudos
daspug201110141
Contributor
Contributor

From the VMware Workstation 9.0.2 help file:

Compacting Virtual Hard Disks

Compacting a virtual hard disk reclaims unused space in the disk. If a disk has empty space, this process reduces the amount of space the virtual hard disk occupies on the host drive. You must power off a virtual machine before you compact its virtual hard disk.

You cannot compact a virtual hard disk if disk space is preallocated or if the virtual hard disk is mapped or mounted.

To compact a virtual hard disk for a selected virtual machine, select VM > Settings, click the Hardware tab, select the virtual hard disk, and select Compact from the Utilities menu.

Hope that helps. Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

If I'm not   not mistaken this "help" text  from VMware goes back to version 5.5!  And yes the GUI for VMware Tools was promised "real soon now" in TP2.  Doesn't seem difficult to code - but then again I'm not privy to the code. :smileylaugh:

0 Kudos
DAOWAce
Contributor
Contributor

2 updates and over a full year later and this still hasn't been rectified.

0 Kudos
Horinius
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I skipped from WS 7 to WS 10, so I'm not sure if my reply makes sense to you.  And my host O/S is Windows, not Ubuntu.  So forgive me in advance if my reply turns out to be BS.

In WS 10, the function has been moved from guest O/S to Workstation windows.  Take a look at this article:

http://pubs.vmware.com/workstation-10/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.vmware.ws.using.doc%2FGUID-421A1073-BF1...

0 Kudos