VMware Communities
csells
Contributor
Contributor

shared folders with a win8 guest?

I've running the Win8 Developer Preview as a guest on my Win7 host running VMWare Workstation 8. I have set up a shared folder called "HostC", but cannot find it anywhere inside of my Win8 instance. How do I share files between my host and my Win8 VM? Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
hbato
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How did you set up your network? Just use a simple folder share and check your permissions and firewall. That should do it.

Regards, Harold

0 Kudos
csells
Contributor
Contributor

What IP adress do I use for the host inside the guest? My host PC doesn't have a network address if I'm on a plane. I'm unfamiliar with VMWare in general and nothing I've tried has worked.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

then use VMnet1 instead as your host does have an IP-address on VMnet1 even if there is no external connection

0 Kudos
hbato
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yep, place your vm on VMnet1 which is Host-only networking. For more info on different network types, please refer to http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100648...

Regards, Harold
0 Kudos
csells
Contributor
Contributor

Aha. I figured it out. Apparently VMWare maps a network endpoint named "vmware-host" into the guest OS and maps Z: to the set of shared folders I set up in the VM settings. 

0 Kudos