VMware Communities
RichieRich23
Contributor
Contributor

server & workstation isolation with Workstation Pro 17

Hello all,

I am new to what I am trying to do so any help is appreciated.  I am trying to create the following test environment using Workstation Pro 17 on a desktop: 1) MS Server 2019 Std with a test domain {AD, DNS, DHCP all running}, 2) Windows 10 Pro workstation connected to the server. 3) Both systems will be in a VM, 4) Keep all the communication just between the two systems and when needed, if possible, acquire updated when needed. 

I am looking to try out some GPO's and different configurations.  System the Workstation Pro 17 is running is connected to a 10.10.x.x and is in my home.  Will create this new environment on a 192.168.x.x. 

Please point me to the documentation which I will need as for some reason I didn't find it.  Also someone said that to do what I am looking to do, I need to add a second NIC to the desktop and connect it to my home network.

Please help and thank you.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Run the Virtual Network Editor... Enable/create a "guest-only" (not its real label) using one of the unused VMnet hubs (2-7, 9).  The Win10 VM will connect using "Custom" network connection and select the desired VMnet.  The Server VM will have one virtual NIC connected the same - so the client can communicate with the server; and a second NIC able to connect to the outside world (bridged or NAT, whichever works best for you).  You can leave that NIC disabled most of the time if you want the system isolated.  If you want the client to also be able to reach the outside world, then you will need some routing software on the server VM to route between the 2 NICs.

0 Kudos
RichieRich23
Contributor
Contributor

thank you very much.
0 Kudos